Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Why does an output only 8-bit wide PIO use/needs 16 memory locations (0x2010-0x201F)?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm new to the Nios/Qsys/Eclipse. I've used Quartus software before but never with Nios. I'm using a Nios Gen2 with a MAX10 (BeMicroMAX10). The free version of Nios.  

The base address of the PIO is for the data. Then there is outset and outclear. That's 3 locations. So how come Qsys shows an address span of 16? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have a look at the documentation for the pio core (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf), chapter 11. Depending on the options, a PIO core uses 4 or 6 32-bit registers. In addition to the pin accesses and direction control, you have a edge capture register and an interrupt mask register.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Table 11-2 shows offset 0 thru 5. That's 6 addresses? Why the other 9? Thanks

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In one case there are 6 x 32bit registers. So that means in powers of two there are 8 x 32bit = 32 bytes. 

But if you have don't have the extended registers enabled, then there are 3 x 32bit registers - as powers of two that is 4 x 32bit = 16 bytes. 

Address spans are shown in bytes (even if you are using Word Addressing).
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the minimum width is 16 bytes. 

You should also make your slave 32bits wide - return 0 to reads for the top 24 bits. 

The Nios acceses are 32bit (with appropriate byte enables for writes) and logic gets added to generate 4 cycles to an 8bit slave.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You should also make your slave 32bits wide - return 0 to reads for the top 24 bits. 

The Nios acceses are 32bit (with appropriate byte enables for writes) and logic gets added to generate 4 cycles to an 8bit slave. 

--- Quote End ---  

Do You suggest to make all PIO registers ( connected to NIOS II as slaves in QSys ) 32-bits wide even though only several bits are used? 

What C type variable should then be used?  

Apparently, unsigned int ?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can make the PIO any width you like. The Avalon-MM slave interface of the PIO core will always be 32bit wide and unused bits will read as 0.