Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Why is rocketboards rejecting bare metal?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was looking for bare metal examples on rocketboards and found this statement on the projects page: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Please upload linux based projects only. Any non-Linux project will be deleted.  

--- Quote End ---  

Also, the home page says: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Accelerate development by exchanging ideas with the Linux community.  

--- Quote End ---  

Does anyone know why they've done this? It's not like there are a huge number of projects there. What's the big objection to bare metal? My next project is going to be bare metal. Why am I being pushed to use a Xilinx Zynq instead of an Altera SOC?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Baremetal examples are available here:  

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/soc/soc.html 

https://www.altera.com/download/soc-eds/rtos-tools.jsp 

For community designed bare metal designs the most appropriate place for those would be to post them to www.alterawiki.com
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the information I'll take a look at them. I thought there had to be some bare metal examples somewhere I just didn't know where. It might be nice to add those links to Rocketboards so that others who aren't looking for linux info can find them.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I agree so I told the person in charge of rocketboards that they should point users to those links when they display the "Linux only" type of messages.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for the information I'll take a look at them. I thought there had to be some bare metal examples somewhere I just didn't know where. It might be nice to add those links to Rocketboards so that others who aren't looking for linux info can find them. 

--- Quote End ---  

Galfonz: 

There is also a set of baremetal examples that use the hardware libraries inside SoC EDS. 

From a SoC EDS shell, cd $SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT/embedded/examples/software 

You should be able to unzip the examples and build from the command line, or import them into DS-5 as projects.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Over time you'll probably see some baremetal examples up on www.alterawiki.com as well from others in the community posting useful projects.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Over time you'll probably see some baremetal examples up on www.alterawiki.com as well from others in the community posting useful projects. 

--- Quote End ---  

Badomen-- thank you for doing this! I don't understand it either, particularly as vxWorks, FreeRTOS, and RTEMS are now becoming more involved in the SoC world. Rocketboards should really be a better repository with links to everything. Not to mention that building with Yocto is a significant learning curve on top of everything else for someone who is trying to learn firmware alone!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I happen to be looking into this right now but don't have an ETA of when things will change or what the changes will be (still figuring it out). 

Since I don't know Yocto at all, is the material up on rocketboards missing some key pieces or is it just a big learning curve in general?