Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Why is rocketboards rejecting bare metal?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was looking for bare metal examples on rocketboards and found this statement on the projects page: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Please upload linux based projects only. Any non-Linux project will be deleted.  

--- Quote End ---  

Also, the home page says: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Accelerate development by exchanging ideas with the Linux community.  

--- Quote End ---  

Does anyone know why they've done this? It's not like there are a huge number of projects there. What's the big objection to bare metal? My next project is going to be bare metal. Why am I being pushed to use a Xilinx Zynq instead of an Altera SOC?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Baremetal examples are available here:  

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/soc/soc.html 

https://www.altera.com/download/soc-eds/rtos-tools.jsp 

For community designed bare metal designs the most appropriate place for those would be to post them to www.alterawiki.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the information I'll take a look at them. I thought there had to be some bare metal examples somewhere I just didn't know where. It might be nice to add those links to Rocketboards so that others who aren't looking for linux info can find them.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I agree so I told the person in charge of rocketboards that they should point users to those links when they display the "Linux only" type of messages.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for the information I'll take a look at them. I thought there had to be some bare metal examples somewhere I just didn't know where. It might be nice to add those links to Rocketboards so that others who aren't looking for linux info can find them. 

--- Quote End ---  

Galfonz: 

There is also a set of baremetal examples that use the hardware libraries inside SoC EDS. 

From a SoC EDS shell, cd $SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT/embedded/examples/software 

You should be able to unzip the examples and build from the command line, or import them into DS-5 as projects.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Over time you'll probably see some baremetal examples up on www.alterawiki.com as well from others in the community posting useful projects.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Over time you'll probably see some baremetal examples up on www.alterawiki.com as well from others in the community posting useful projects. 

--- Quote End ---  

Badomen-- thank you for doing this! I don't understand it either, particularly as vxWorks, FreeRTOS, and RTEMS are now becoming more involved in the SoC world. Rocketboards should really be a better repository with links to everything. Not to mention that building with Yocto is a significant learning curve on top of everything else for someone who is trying to learn firmware alone!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I happen to be looking into this right now but don't have an ETA of when things will change or what the changes will be (still figuring it out). 

Since I don't know Yocto at all, is the material up on rocketboards missing some key pieces or is it just a big learning curve in general?
0 Kudos