Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Why would someone need to use alt-file-convert and what alternatives exist?

gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

The alt-file-convert is still in BETA version as seen below from its output message:

alt-file-convert (BETA): General file conversion tool. In 14.1, primarily used for generating Nios II application image for Max Onchip Flash and EPCQ.

Usage: alt-file-convert -I <input_type> -O <output_type> [option(s)] --input=<input_file> --output=<output_file>

For 14.1, this tool is limited to the following uses:
1. Convert between Intel HEX (byte addressed) and Quartus HEX (word addressed)
2. Convert between Quartus HEX files of various widths
3. Convert an ELF file to a HEX file and append a bootcopier (used for application flash image for Max Onchip Flash and EPCQ

More to come in later releases! Stay tuned...

This has been in beta for a very long time now, like several years. What alternatives exist to this program and how do I know if I actually need to use this in the first place?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @gyuunyuu,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well.
Per my understanding that command are used to convert .elf files to flash to program the memory.
Alternatively you can try elf2flash/elf2hex which should have similar function. (more details can be found here page #140)

As for the alt-file-convert command it might be in BETA state due to low utilization.
Please do let us know if such command are useful (i.e. in what scenario this command comes in handy? how does this command helps you? or any other helpful reason) to you and I can submit a request for the stable release.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

The alt-file-convert is being used for the purpose that it was created for. However, I do find it strange that this remains in beta stage for so many years although it is not such a complex tool. The documentation for this program needs to be improved. A feature is required where the start address for different memory blocks that make up the resulting file can be specified is also required.

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @gyuunyuu,

Noted and apologies for the confusion faced, again thanks for the feedback/inputs.
Allow me to get this back to our internal team for review.
Please do let us know if there is any clarification that I can assist with.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @gyuunyuu,

Greetings, as we do not receive any further clarification, hence thread will now be transitioned to community support for further help on doubts in this thread. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos