Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Writing via the Avalon master interface in assembly

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is required when writing to the Avalon master interface instantiated with the Nios, specifically with assembly? 

I understand that in C, use can use the following macros to read/write to a specific register. 

IORD() 

IOWR() 

How exactly is this done in assembly?  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Those C macros are simply wrappers to provide access to the IO instructions. See the stwio and ldwio descriptions in the instruction set reference. 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu_nii51017.p...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Those C macros are simply wrappers to provide access to the IO instructions. See the stwio and ldwio descriptions in the instruction set reference. 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu_nii51017.p... 

--- Quote End ---  

I see. So if my understanding is correct, I will simply want to read and write to the address given to the Avalon master interface in Qsys using the common load/store operations? In doing so, I can initiate Avalon reads and writes?  

Thanks.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have determined that my Avalon bridge is located at base address 0x2000. In this case, If I load a word (lets say 0xFFFFAAAA) to address 0x2000, I should expect an Avalon write to address 0, with the data 0xFFFFAAAA. If I load 0xAAAAFFFF to 0x2004, the Avalon master will perform a write to address 1, with the data 0xAAAAFFFF.  

Does this sound correct?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it sounds correct. The value you see on your component 'address' inputs will depend on the width of your component Avalon-MM Slave. For a common 32-bit wide slave, you would see a single write at address '1'. For a 8-bit slave, you would see four writes at addresses 4,5,6,7. For a 64-bit wide slave, you would see a write at address 0 with appropriate byteenables set to indicate what bytes are being written.