Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

about JTAG UARTs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

who can tell me what's means of the error?i used ByteBlasterII, why the error says there are no jtag uarts? 

the error is: 

jtag_atlantic connection failed to open: 

There are no JTAG UARTs available which match the --device and 

--instance options you provided.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This error means that the host software is unable to find the JTAG UART hardware. 

This could be because there is something wrong with your board, because there is something wrong with your SOF or that you forgot to put a JTAG UART in the design (or downloaded the wrong sof file). 

One thing to check is that you have left the unassigned pins floating rather than tied to ground. 

I assume you are using the IDE to debug. Did it sucessfully download the code?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If there is some what you can add something to your design to show that it is downloaded properly (turn a LED on for example) I would try that (either your design is not programmed correctly or your JTAG UART doesn't exist/working properly). For unused pins I would set those to tri-state (ground is fine unless you accidentially connect that pin to VCC through a bus or some other connection with another board). Also make sure you are making your timing requirements.

0 Kudos