Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

about .rbf can't be config to FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all 

I have programed the .rbf file generated by QuartusII into Flash (0x600000,statix 1S10 board). but, the config contoller can't boot the .rbf to FPGA when power on. who can tell me why? and how to resolve it? 

thank u!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello ffone13, 

Sorry, I can’t remember which hardware you are using and I don’t have enough time to search the forum for old topics where you have described your hardware. Is your Stratix 1S10 board from Altera? Please give some more details about your hardware, software (version, …), …! What exactly did you to program the flash? 

There are lot of people here who can help you, but only if you give enough details. 

And please complete your post about flash (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=2&t=667) so everyone can learn from you. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi niosIIuser, 

Yes, the Stratix 1S10 board shipped from Altera. the hardware and software(QII 4.0+sp1) are standard.  

my meaning is that : 

I have programed the .rbf file to flash in the section: 0x600000 ,but the config controller can't move the user hardware image to FPGA. and also if i use the QII programmer download .sof that the device option have kicked the .rbf option, it can't download to FPGA. error is: the CONFIG_DONE failed go to high. 

BTW: I have settled the Flash on the S80 board due to kindhearted man's help. and your mention is custom board that we made also dealed with. It caused when we solder the flash to board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

the hardware and software(QII 4.0+sp1) are standard[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Normally it is good to use the actual software (Quartus II 4.2)? Which Nios version are you using? 

So you are not able to configure the FPGA with your sof-File? But Quartus II is detecting your device? Did you change the programming of the configuration CPLD (EPM7128)? 

--- Quote Start ---  

BTW: I have settled the Flash on the S80 board due to kindhearted man&#39;s help. and your mention is custom board that we made also dealed with. It caused when we solder the flash to board.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Is that the explanation for about flash (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=2&t=667)?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

of course, when download .sof to fpga that didn&#39;t kick .rbf option,it&#39;s OK. and I only want to know if the .rbf 

that can be config by the EPM from flash to FPGA? nios is 1.01 ,other is ok. 

Yes, I have said it&#39;s the hardware problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello ffone13, 

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your problem exactly. The reason could be that my English is not the best – I should improve this in the future http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

Here are my questions which will help me to understand your problem. Please answer these one after one. 

1. Is a configuration of the FPGA via JTAG from Quartus II possible? 

2. What do you mean with .rbf option? 

3. Did you change the programming of the configuration CPLD (EPM7128)? 

Just to clarify .rbf: A “Raw Binary File” will be created automatically when you use the “Flash Programmer” from the Nios II IDE. The Software is turning a .sof into .rbf for programming the flash. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, I have said it&#39;s the hardware problem.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Please post the answer to the corresponding topic. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello niosIIuser 

If you say that my English level is bad directly, I will feel better some. 

1. of course, configure the FPGA via JTAG from Quartus II. 

2. I want to use .rbf file directly programmed into Flash,not use the Flash Programmer from NIOS IDE. 

3. I didn&#39;t alter the EPM config file. It&#39;s OK. 

the .rbf file is generated by QuartusII not NIOS IDE. It&#39;s the raw binary file that somebody think it can be writed to Flash like .bin file directly. and I think so. but when I write the configuration file (hardware image).rbf to Flash (0x600000 user section) by software not from nios IDE Flash Programmer, it failed when power on. 

I have finished the corresponding topic,but the topic have been flood by the ground sea.there are too many topics ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello ffone13, 

I think the English of both of us is not the best. This makes it very hard to understand what the other person means. But we will find a solution http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif  

1. You said that a configuration from Quartus II is possible; does that mean that your design is also running when you configure the FPGA in this way? 

2. Did you test your design with the Nios II IDE? Is it possible to program the Flash via "Flash Programmer¡" of the IDE? I mean if this is not working correctly than it is also impossible to program the flash without the IDE. What do you think about this? 

3. For creating an rbf the makeprogfile utility is used. This little software can be used by Quartus II or Nios II IDE. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser 

PS: Thanks for completing your post.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check what kind of device you have on board and what device is selected in Quartus Assignments->Device. Some 1s10 boards are with 1s10es device which is not compatible by programming files with 1s10. 

Also check Assignments->Device->Device&Pin Options may be somthing s wrong there.
0 Kudos