Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

accesing a custom component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello every body; 

I have created my custom component, it have an avalon slave interface, it have 2 slave registers, how can i access these registers if i have the base address, i mean that what is the order of these internal registers, 

another question is if this component takes 20 clk cycle to finish, how can i take its output when it just finish. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have created my custom component, it have an avalon slave interface, it have 2 slave registers, how can i access these registers if i have the base address, i mean that what is the order of these internal registers, 

--- Quote End ---  

Every register you implement in the custom component is supposed to have an address (or offset) inside the MM slave address range. This depends only on your hw design. 

--- Quote Start ---  

another question is if this component takes 20 clk cycle to finish, how can i take its output when it just finish. 

--- Quote End ---  

Three options: 

- wait at least 20 clk with a sw cycle 

- implement a status register with a completion flag bit: then poll the bit until the it signals your data is ready; this is especially useful when the process duration is not constant 

- route the completion signal to an irq