Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

alt-boot-disk-util always fails with device open failed!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to follow this tutorial to generate a preloader for my Terasic DE0-NANO-SOC development board: 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/socswws1introtoalterasocdeviceslab1preloader 

I'm using the 15.1.0.185 builds of Quartus Prime Lite Edition and SoC EDS Web Edition on a Windows 10 laptop with built-in SD card reader and micro-SD adapter. I keep trying the following step where the final D is my micro-SD drive letter: 

alt-boot-disk-util -p preloader-mkpimage.bin -a write -d D 

I always get: 

--- Quote Start ---  

device open failed! 

--- Quote End ---  

The SoC EDS command shell is able to navigate to /cygdrive/d without issue and I can browse the contents of the micro-SD card using Windows explorer. I loaded the DE0-NANO-SOC image described by the tutorial as my starting point. The tutorial uses version 15.0. I tried using components built with 15.1.0.185 and had the same issues as well as a different micro-SD card. Has anyone had success/issues using alt-boot-disk-util with these software/OS versions?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

are u using window or Linux ? in window do remember to be administrator right and Linux has to be super user to execute this commands

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On Windows. Yes, works better when you run as administrator. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it seems like we are friend here, as I 'm also one of the victim of that application guide, it did not even mention this need to be administrator mode at the first place.. :D

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

On Windows. Yes, works better when you run as administrator. Thanks! 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for sharing!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

another reminder, do take note for some of the typos in the soceds user guide related with this command, there is a line where the typo showe the wrong alt-boot-disk-util parameter.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

C:\altera\15.1\embedded\env.sh also fails to find my qsys directory since I am using the Lite version which defaults to C:\altera_lite\15.1\quartus\sopc_builder\bin. By defining the environment variable QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE to be the correct path for the Lite version, I was finally able to get the sopc-create-header-files script to run correctly. To the tutorial's credit, 15.1 was not listed as one of the supported versions, but I think the maintainers of the env.sh script should figure out how to handle that right. Also noticed the Windows PATH variable does not get properly imported into cygwin. I have a lot of spaces in the PATH variable, but that didn't seem to cause enough problems for me to worry about it at this point.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

C:\altera\15.1\embedded\env.sh also fails to find my qsys directory since I am using the Lite version which defaults to C:\altera_lite\15.1\quartus\sopc_builder\bin. By defining the environment variable QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE to be the correct path for the Lite version, I was finally able to get the sopc-create-header-files script to run correctly. To the tutorial's credit, 15.1 was not listed as one of the supported versions, but I think the maintainers of the env.sh script should figure out how to handle that right. Also noticed the Windows PATH variable does not get properly imported into cygwin. I have a lot of spaces in the PATH variable, but that didn't seem to cause enough problems for me to worry about it at this point. 

--- Quote End ---  

Wait... you are using window's based? you execute the ds-5/ aka eclipse via window short cut or from the embedded command shell ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've just been using the command line by right clicking on the embedded command shell batch file and running as administrator. I'm yet to find any examples/guidance that use Eclipse for anything. Every example I've found uses the command line and Makefiles.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I saw there is another forum post also talking about issue related with the Altera lite, it seems that some compatibility issues with this release line.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what is the reason you choose to use the lite version?

0 Kudos