Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

alt-file-convert error

NNauf
Partner

I am using Quartus Prime Standard Edition 18.1 for MAX10 development.

I need to store the NIOS-II code in an external QSPI to be copied into SDRAM for execution at power up.

My understanding is that I have to add a Memcpy-based boot copier.

When I use the command below, I get errors:

alt-file-convert.exe -I elf32-littlenios2 -O hex --input==./MAX1000_QSPI_SDRAM.elf --output=./Hello_world.hex --base=0x01800000 --end=0x01ffffff --reset=0x01800000 --out-data-width=8 --boot="./boot_loader_epcq256_cv.srec"
Converting Nios II ELF file to HEX file. Appending boot file.
Mar 16, 2022 4:45:18 PM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Data error: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
Mar 16, 2022 4:45:18 PM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error retrieving data from
nios2-elf-objcopy: 'c:\users\a91399\appdata\local\temp\tmpokijuc': No such file

Is there another way to add the mem-copier?

Why am I getting this error?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

This flow is for MAX 10 as documented, I have found a KDB related to this issue:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000086355.html

I believe you have done the above workaround, but just to confirm that you have executed the command from a Nios II Command Shell?

May I know where is your project file located when executing the command?

Is it local or network drive? Can you try placing your project folder on a local drive? If already, execute Nios II Command Shell as Admin (run as Admin...) and re-try.

I was able to generate on Linux 18.1, now I am trying on Windows next.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Firstly, I recommend that you follow thoroughly the guide below regarding the application copied from general purpose QSPI flash to RAM using a boot copier on MAX 10:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/hardware-design-17774.html

0 Kudos
NNauf
Partner

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

This is exactly the document I am following. I am using Single Uncompressed image with Memory Initialization as Figure 136 shows.

If you follow the interactive manual to section 5.2.4.32 (page 296 in PDF) and scroll down to "HEX File Generation" is where I am getting the error.

It doesn't matter which .srec file (copied to local folder) I use, I still get the error.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Could you upload the design that you use? I would like to replicate the issue from my side.

0 Kudos
NNauf
Partner

I did a "Clean Project" and zipped the whole folder which includes the software folder.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks, I will try to replicate from my side.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I have not face the same error, can you please re-try below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/application-42772.html

And make sure your path of the project along with the sopc is in the right directory.

0 Kudos
NNauf
Partner

Hi,

My files are in the folders that Quartus chooses for them.

What do you mean by "the right directory"

Thank you.

0 Kudos
NNauf
Partner

Hi,

This flow does not work for MAX10.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

This flow is for MAX 10 as documented, I have found a KDB related to this issue:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000086355.html

I believe you have done the above workaround, but just to confirm that you have executed the command from a Nios II Command Shell?

May I know where is your project file located when executing the command?

Is it local or network drive? Can you try placing your project folder on a local drive? If already, execute Nios II Command Shell as Admin (run as Admin...) and re-try.

I was able to generate on Linux 18.1, now I am trying on Windows next.

0 Kudos