Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

alt_flash_open_dev() returns 0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been using a CFI flash, S29GL....  

I'm able to access its contents through Memory read utility in the IDE, and also write into it correctly through Flash Programmer utility.. 

But, alt_flash_open_dev() always returns 0!  

I'm running this on Quartus 10.1 SP1.  

Pls help!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you call alt_flash_open_dev with the exact device name provided by system.h? 

Memory read works since all CFI flash start in read mode and all have the same sram-like interface. 

Instead, alt_flash_open_dev() accesses the cfi specific functions and assumes you are targeting the correct device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did you call alt_flash_open_dev with the exact device name provided by system.h? 

Memory read works since all CFI flash start in read mode and all have the same sram-like interface. 

Instead, alt_flash_open_dev() accesses the cfi specific functions and assumes you are targeting the correct device. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes.. I'm calling the fn with exact name.... Gave "/dev/flash_name" too.. Doesn't work :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pradeep, I have had the same issue of alt_flash_open_dev() returning 0 all the time. I had enabled reduced drivers in the bsp settings. I do not know if you have it enabled or not. If you do not have it enabled, this solution might not apply to you. But if you do, try disabling them for a quick check.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Pradeep, I have had the same issue of alt_flash_open_dev() returning 0 all the time. I had enabled reduced drivers in the bsp settings. I do not know if you have it enabled or not. If you do not have it enabled, this solution might not apply to you. But if you do, try disabling them for a quick check. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Baljeet 

i've not set reduced drivers flag!
0 Kudos