Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

alt_getchar returning wrong value

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

int main() { int noia = 0; alt_putstr("Proc 2!\n"); /* get the mutex device handle */ alt_mutex_dev* mutex = altera_avalon_mutex_open( "/dev/mutex" ); /* acquire the mutex, setting the value to one */ altera_avalon_mutex_lock( mutex, 1 ); if(altera_avalon_mutex_is_mine(mutex)) { alt_printf("%x\n", IORD_32DIRECT(SHARED_MEM_BASE, 0x00)); noia = alt_getchar(); alt_printf("%x\n", noia); if (noia == 1) altera_avalon_mutex_unlock( mutex ); } return 0; } 

This is my code, however alt_getchar() is returning a wrong value, not what i typed
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Are you new to C programs ? 

Your printf will print hexadecimal value. because of "%x" 

try  

noia = alt_getchar(); alt_printf("%c\n", noia);  

But later in your code I see if (noia == 1)

If you type with keyboard, alt_getchar may return between 40 and 124 (decimal values). 

So if you want you condition to be true you have to Press Alt with 0 then 0 then 1. 

If you want your condition to be true when you type '1' with keyboard, try  

if (noia == '1') 

noia should be declared as char (not "int"). 

Or this is an other problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's another problem, seems like my buffer has already some info on it. I don't type anything and some value appear in the alt_getchar, like 1a, 2b etc. 

Thanks for your info thought :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Be aware that alt_getchar() uses a "direct" driver. See Documents. 

Have you tried with C usual getchar() ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd guess that the result range of alt_getchar() is -1 (no char available) and 0..255 for a received byte (it could also return indications of abort and framing errors) - so the return value could well be 'int' not 'char'. 

getchar() will pull in a lot of libc code, and may also (by default at least) require that you type <enter> before making any data available.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's another problem, seems like my buffer has already some info on it. I don't type anything and some value appear in the alt_getchar, like 1a, 2b etc. 

Thanks for your info thought :) 

--- Quote End ---  

If your problem is simply with chars already stored in buffer, what you commonly do in C is putting a while (getchar() != EOF); loop before starting. 

EOF is usually the portable version of the -1 result value suggested by dsl.
0 Kudos