Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

altera_avalon_tse.h and _TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD #defines

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

We are using NIOS2 with uCOS2 and the NicheStack and need to be able to 

run our embedded app even if we don't have a network connection. 

We noticed with the below default altera_avalon_tse.h settings, 

the processor hangs up and seems to hold interrupts causing the app 

to have issues loading. 

# define ALTERA_AUTONEG_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 250000# define ALTERA_CHECKLINK_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 1000000# define ALTERA_NOMDIO_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 1000000# define ALTERA_DISGIGA_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 5000000 

I tried these settings and it allowed to progress without a network connection fine, 

but this seems like overkill.  

Is there another Altera# define or code block that would allow obtaining the IP in  

a lower priority task/thread ? 

# define ALTERA_AUTONEG_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 2500# define ALTERA_CHECKLINK_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 1000# define ALTERA_NOMDIO_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 10000# define ALTERA_DISGIGA_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 50000
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the below change an appropriate fix ? 

I found that I needed to change the below code in  

BSP\drivers\src\altera_avalon_tse.c 

in the alt_tse_phy_restart_an() function. 

Adding a 1 second sleep in this while loop allows background tasks (we use uCOS2) to have some cpu cycles. A timeout of 10 seconds would be sufficient. 

The iNiche network initialization (again initialization only) is also on a task as well.  

while(alt_tse_phy_rd_mdio_reg(pphy, TSE_PHY_MDIO_STATUS, TSE_PHY_MDIO_STATUS_AN_COMPLETE, 1) == 0 ) 

usleep(1000000); /* sleep for 1 second */ 

/* change to time out after 10 seconds */ 

if(timeout++ > 10 /*timeout_threshold*/) { 

tse_dprintf(4, "WARNING : PHY[%d.%d] - Auto-Negotiation FAILED\n", mac_group_index, mac_info_index); 

/* Restore previous MDIO address */ 

alt_tse_phy_wr_mdio_addr(pphy, mdioadd_prev); 

return TSE_PHY_AN_NOT_COMPLETE; 

}
0 Kudos