Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

battery backup sram

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I'm working on Cyclon4Gx FPGA Project and I have a problem with the battery backup ram. Every time I reset the software the memory is always erased. In the past I worked on a similar cyclon 2 project and the memory was not erased after a reset. 

I'm using Quartus 2 12.1 and my code is located in on-chip-memory. Does anybody have a suggestion?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems kind of obvious, but did you measure the battery voltage? Maybe it's just a dead battery.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The battery is ok, I did a couple of tests yesterday and I found that the data are cleared by system startup . If i save a variables with the IOWR instruction outside the map of linker the variables are not erased, I think the alt_load function erases all the section (.text .rwdata etc..) but i don't understand how to configure the bsp setting to avoid this. I have the reset vector , .text, . rwdata , .rodata and the other section in sram.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This sounds like a software issue. Check the compiler and linker manuals. There might be an option to not clear memory on start up.