Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

boot from S25FL512S

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I try to boot from QSPI Flash (S25FL512S) but I am having some difficulties.  

I have the same DDR3 as altera cyclone v soc board + two QSPI S25FL512S connected to the hps side. Input clock for FPGA and HPS = 25MHz. 

First, I followed the tutorial on rocketboard:  

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131qspiboot 

but the flash was not detected, then, I added these lines in u-boot spl file spansion.c 

{ .idcode1 = 0x0220, .idcode2 = 0x4d00, .pages_per_sector = 256, .nr_sectors = 1024, .name = "S25FL512S", },  

but i still have a problem, the board reboot non stop with this log rather than going to u-boot 

U-Boot SPL 2013.01.01 (Jun 29 2015 - 17:26:52) BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Cyclone V Board CLOCK: EOSC1 clock 25000 KHz CLOCK: EOSC2 clock 25000 KHz CLOCK: F2S_SDR_REF clock 0 KHz CLOCK: F2S_PER_REF clock 0 KHz CLOCK: MPU clock 400 MHz CLOCK: DDR clock 400 MHz CLOCK: UART clock 100000 KHz CLOCK: MMC clock 488 KHz CLOCK: QSPI clock 200000 KHz RESET: WARM INFO : Watchdog enabled SDRAM: Initializing MMR registers SDRAM: Calibrating PHY SEQ.C: Preparing to start memory calibration SEQ.C: CALIBRATION PASSED SDRAM: 512 MiB SF: Read data capture delay calibrated to 1 (0 - 2) SF: Detected S25FL512S  

I have no idea, I have tried many things. I can boot with the arrow sockit but the flash is different. 

there is something missing :/  

I attached my quartus design. 

thank you for your help
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm pretty sure this is because the U-Boot port on which this preloader is based upon does not fully support this flash. 

As seen in the datasheet (http://www.spansion.com/support/datasheets/s25fl512s_00.pdf), the bit EXTADD of the Bank Address Register is set to 0 by default, and this means that 

the FAST_READ (0Bh) command used by U-Boot expects to be followed by a 3-byte address, but since the device is > 16 MB, 

U-Boot automatically uses a 4-byte address! So the preloader copies garbage to the DDR, and then tries to run it, the watchdog is 

triggered, and so on... 

There is also a similar problem related to the Normal or Quad operation. 

The changes are not too difficult to implement, but actually Altera pushed last week a commit that adds this support! 

So, you can take a look at this commit, and see if it solves your problem: 

https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga/commit/5a47f31c98e6c70185f3423bc82f3414cb25ca2c 

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi slesne, 

thank you for the information  

I saw this patch only spansion.c change, now I also use this version for the preloader and u-boot + i added some modifications  

in uboot-socfpga/drivers/mtd/spi/spansion.c 

1. Replace 

flash->sector_size = 256 * params->pages_per_sector; 

With: 

flash->sector_size = 512 * params->pages_per_sector; 

2. I added  

.idcode1 = 0x0220, 

.idcode2 = 0x4d00, 

.pages_per_sector = 512, 

.nr_sectors = 256, 

.name = "S25FL512S", 

}, 

Also change the following in uboot-socfpga/include/configs/socfpga_common.h: 

From this: 

# define CONFIG_CQSPI_PAGE_SIZE (256) 

To this: 

# define CONFIG_CQSPI_PAGE_SIZE (512) 

but i still have the same problem so run the preloader code step by step with the debugger 

i stop at this line (line 191 in spl.c)  

image_entry((u32 *)boot_params_ptr); 

I think my changes to support this flash are not good to jump to the next image
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TO_BE_DONE

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

This might not be the only problem, but this print of the image name is a bit sketchy, I've had some trouble with it in the past. 

(I think that the spl_image.name doesn't end with a null char, so it reads too far in the memory, this might be what triggers the ECC error) 

I would advise commenting it out! (uboot-socfpga/common/spl/spl.c, around line 116) 

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi slesne, 

you have right 

U-Boot SPL 2013.01.01 (Jul 02 2015 - 16:30:48) BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Cyclone V Board CLOCK: EOSC1 clock 25000 KHz CLOCK: EOSC2 clock 25000 KHz CLOCK: F2S_SDR_REF clock 0 KHz CLOCK: F2S_PER_REF clock 0 KHz CLOCK: MPU clock 800 MHz CLOCK: DDR clock 330 MHz CLOCK: UART clock 100000 KHz CLOCK: MMC clock 488 KHz CLOCK: QSPI clock 400000 KHz RESET: COLD SDRAM: Initializing MMR registers SDRAM: Calibrating PHY SEQ.C: Preparing to start memory calibration SEQ.C: CALIBRATION PASSED SDRAM: 512 MiB SF: Read data capture delay calibrated to 3 (0 - 7) SF: Detected S25FL512S with page size 262144, total: 67108864 U-Boot 2013.01.01-00114-g9381569-dirty (Jul 02 2015 - 16:30:54) CPU : Altera SOCFPGA Platform BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Cyclone V Board I2C: ready DRAM: 256 MiB MMC: ALTERA DWMMC: 0 SF: Read data capture delay calibrated to 3 (0 - 7) SF: Detected S25FL512S with page size 262144, total: 67108864 *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Skipped ethaddr assignment due to invalid EMAC address in EEPROM Net: mii0 Warning: failed to set MAC address Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 ** Bad device mmc 0 ** Optional boot script not found. Continuing to boot normally ** Bad device mmc 0 ** ** Bad device mmc 0 ** Bad Linux ARM zImage magic! SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5#  

Now I will a linux image 

Thanks a lot for your help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi slesne, 

Now it works ! thank you  

Hayder H 

CIELE Ingenierie ;-)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Your conversations are very help ful for me.After enabling 4byte addressing repeat log message problem solved. 

I stored my baremetal application on qspi flash by using following commands 

mkimage -A arm -O u-boot -T standalone -C none -a 0x02100000 -e 0 -n "baremetal image" -d hwlib.bin hwlib.img 

quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0x60000 hwlib.img.bin 

After debugging through printf statements it is stopping at following line 

image_entry((u32 *)boot_params_ptr); 

After this statement it's not jumping to baremetal application which i have stored at 0x6000 location. 

Any suggestions is appreciated. 

Hayder what modifications u have done to jump to u-boot while it was struck at image_entry((u32 *)boot_params_ptr); 

waiting for ur replies
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

mkimage -A arm -O u-boot -T standalone -C none -a 0x02100000 -e 0 -n "baremetal image" -d hwlib.bin hwlib.img 

quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0x60000 hwlib.img.bin 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I think you need to use 0x02100040 as the load address (-a switch), to account for the 64-byte header of the image. 

You can take a look at the "Unhosted" example from this page: https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/soc.html 

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi slesne, 

Thanks for the reply.I tried with 0x02100040 as the load address,still i am facing same problem. 

The link u have given will be useful in future. 

currently I am working cyclone v soc custom board.In board only 3 options are provided(boot from qspi,NAND and FPGA).when ever i try to debug project through DS-5 in boot from qspi flash mode ,it's always throwing following error 

Target Message: Could not determine target state 

currently i can't debug example projects on board. 

Any suggestions are welcome to proceed 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Hayder what modifications u have done to jump to u-boot while it was struck at image_entry((u32 *)boot_params_ptr); 

I am waiting for ur suggestion Mr.slesne. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am working on cyclone V SOC custom board and i want to boot bare metal application from qspi flash(S25FL512S). I dumped the quad custom preloader image(preloader-mkpimage.bin) into the flash using the command "quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0 preloader-mkpimage.bin". I built the helloworld example bare metal application from GHRD and created the the bootable image using the commands, 

objcopy -I elf32-little -O binary hello.axf hello.bin 

mkimage -A arm -O u-boot -T standalone -C none -a 0x01000040 -e 0 -n "baremetal image" -d hello.bin hello.img 

I dumped the bootable image on qspi using 

quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0x60000 hello.bin 

After resetting the board(cold and warm reset) preloader prints are printed on console but hello world is not printed. Same problem with the hwlib example bare metal application. 

When i tried to boot uboot from qspi it is booting properly. I used following commands for that, 

mkimage -A arm -O u-boot -T standalone -C none -a 0x01000040 -e 0 -n "U-Boot image" -d u-boot.bin u-boot.img 

quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0x60000 u-boot.img 

I am wondering why i am not able to see any bare metal application prints on console. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos