Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

boot multiprocessor from one EPCS device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, everybody, 

I'm using a system with 2 Nios II and I'd like to put the whole system (including the software of the 2 Nios) in flash memory (EPCS). But I do not know how to put the 2 *.elf file into one EPCS chip. 

Anybody can share your solution with me? 

Best regards 

LFC
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You don't need to do that. Make a single elf file and use the system Id field in the Nios dialogin QSYS to have the two processor do different things based on their Id.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

interesting utilization , how to use the system ID field?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the QSYS advanced features tab for the NIOS processor make sure "Assign cpuid control register value manually" is checked (it should be checked by default). Use different values for your two processors (1 and 2 say). Give both processors the same reset and exception vectors. 

In your code, read the value of the cpuid register. A different value will be returned depending on which processor is running. In other words, each processor has a cpuid register that you set in qsys. When your code reads that register, each processor will return the value you set for that processor in qsys.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. But how can I make a single elf file from the 2 *.elf file?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I said before, don't make 2 elf files. Make one elf file only. In your code have something like: 

main() { if (value of sysid register == 1) // Look up how to get this in the Nios documentation processor1_main() else processor2_main() }
0 Kudos