Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

booting multiple nios2 from SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Any advice..? 

I have a S260ES dev board and what I want to do is have 2 nios2's boot and run from the top 2Mbytes of the installed 16Mbytes SDRAM (located at 0x0 to 0x000FFFFF). 

I have 2 cpus CPU_A and CPU_B. I have a JTAG_UART for each. I have the SDRAM interface and finally some buttons and leds for stimulus and response 

for CPU_A 

I set the reset address to 0x00E00000 and the exception address to 0x00E20000 

and for CPU_B 

I set the reset address to 0x00D00000 and the exception address to 0x00D20000 

I build the system and create two simple hello world projects (that poll a button and printf hello world) each with seperate system libraries. 

For both projects I set the system library .text .rodata and .rwdata options to SDRAM 

stdin/out and err to the correct JTAG UART 

When I run (debug) the projects seperately.. they both work fine. 

But when I run them concurrently only one (the last one started) will run!  

I guess im doing something obvious wrong..!?! 

Cheers in advance for any help
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

kits version?? 

I think: 

if verison is v1.0, change the tcp port in debug configuration page,so that the two projects have different tcp ports. 

if verison is v1.1, create a multiprocessor collection and include the two projects.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Cheers for the reply.. 

Im using 4.1 and 1.0.. I had set the tcp ports to be different..! 

What I think I had done wrong was I only had one system timer and was tring to use this for 

both processors.. Duh!! 

(one would clear the interrupt and the other would hang waiting for it!!) 

I have just got copies of 4.2 and 1.1.. im going to have a play today to see what improvements 

there are w.r.t multi-proc systems 

(I actually have 7 niosII's in my design so im hopping it will make things a little easier.)
0 Kudos