Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

bsp-editor warning 13.0sp1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to create the preloader using the instructions taught in the "Developing Software for an ARM based SoC FPGA" exercise manual (Exercise 1a). After running the Embedded_Command_Shell.bat, type in the bsp-editor command an get the following message: 

$ bsp-editor 

Aug 27, 2013 3:28:08 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init> 

WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0 

x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5. 

The bsp-editor window does open and I am able to generate the preloader source files, but after I exit the bsp-editor, and do the make command, the build fails with the following error messages: 

sdram.c:1043:4: error: '$' undeclared (first use in this function) 

sdram.c:1043:4: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each 

function it appears in 

sdram.c:1043:4: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1049:4: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1068:11: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1070:11: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1072:11: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Prelo 

ader/uboot-socfpga/config.mk:331: recipe for target `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Deve 

loping_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch 

/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/sdram.o' failed 

make[3]: *** [/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/softwa 

re/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/sdram.o] Error 1 

make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_S 

oC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga' 

Makefile:158: recipe for target `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ 

ARM_SoC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfp 

ga/libsocfpga.o' failed 

make[2]: *** [/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/softwa 

re/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/libsocfpga.o] Er 

ror 2 

make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_S 

oC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl' 

Makefile:565: recipe for target `spl/u-boot-spl.bin' failed 

make[1]: *** [spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_S 

oC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga' 

make: *** [uboot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

Does anyone know what may be the problem?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am trying to create the preloader using the instructions taught in the "Developing Software for an ARM based SoC FPGA" exercise manual (Exercise 1a). make: *** [uboot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

Does anyone know what may be the problem? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I got the same error. The project compiled with Quartus 13.0, but not with 13.0sp1. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Regards, 

Lars
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok no magic; did a "make clean" first, then "make" succeeds.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Lars!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lars, I spoke too soon. The "make clean" was not my problem, but it was something simple. The original design was done in 13.0. Since I'm using the newer 13.0sp1, I had to regenerate and recompile the design in qsys and quartus. Probably the isw_handoff files generated in 13.0 are not compatible with 13.0sp1. I also found out that rerunning the sdram pin assignments script is not a good idea. After I did this, the quartus compilation would generate strange errors. I'm sure rerunning the script corrupted the .qsf settings file.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ok no magic; did a "make clean" first, then "make" succeeds. 

--- Quote End ---  

I having some issue with 13.0sp1 too ... 

Always get Error 2 whenever I tried to build the preloader ... 

will try if "make clean" will help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

tested to confirm that "make clean" doesn't help resolving this .....

0 Kudos