Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

bsp-editor warning 13.0sp1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to create the preloader using the instructions taught in the "Developing Software for an ARM based SoC FPGA" exercise manual (Exercise 1a). After running the Embedded_Command_Shell.bat, type in the bsp-editor command an get the following message: 

$ bsp-editor 

Aug 27, 2013 3:28:08 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init> 

WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0 

x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5. 

The bsp-editor window does open and I am able to generate the preloader source files, but after I exit the bsp-editor, and do the make command, the build fails with the following error messages: 

sdram.c:1043:4: error: '$' undeclared (first use in this function) 

sdram.c:1043:4: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each 

function it appears in 

sdram.c:1043:4: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1049:4: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1068:11: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1070:11: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

sdram.c:1072:11: error: expected ')' before '{' token 

/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Prelo 

ader/uboot-socfpga/config.mk:331: recipe for target `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Deve 

loping_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch 

/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/sdram.o' failed 

make[3]: *** [/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/softwa 

re/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/sdram.o] Error 1 

make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_S 

oC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga' 

Makefile:158: recipe for target `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ 

ARM_SoC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfp 

ga/libsocfpga.o' failed 

make[2]: *** [/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_SoC/Labs/softwa 

re/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/libsocfpga.o] Er 

ror 2 

make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_S 

oC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga/spl' 

Makefile:565: recipe for target `spl/u-boot-spl.bin' failed 

make[1]: *** [spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/f/altera_trn/Developing_Software_For_ARM_S 

oC/Labs/software/Lab1a-Preloader/uboot-socfpga' 

make: *** [uboot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

Does anyone know what may be the problem?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am trying to create the preloader using the instructions taught in the "Developing Software for an ARM based SoC FPGA" exercise manual (Exercise 1a). make: *** [uboot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

Does anyone know what may be the problem? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I got the same error. The project compiled with Quartus 13.0, but not with 13.0sp1. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Regards, 

Lars
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok no magic; did a "make clean" first, then "make" succeeds.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Lars!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lars, I spoke too soon. The "make clean" was not my problem, but it was something simple. The original design was done in 13.0. Since I'm using the newer 13.0sp1, I had to regenerate and recompile the design in qsys and quartus. Probably the isw_handoff files generated in 13.0 are not compatible with 13.0sp1. I also found out that rerunning the sdram pin assignments script is not a good idea. After I did this, the quartus compilation would generate strange errors. I'm sure rerunning the script corrupted the .qsf settings file.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ok no magic; did a "make clean" first, then "make" succeeds. 

--- Quote End ---  

I having some issue with 13.0sp1 too ... 

Always get Error 2 whenever I tried to build the preloader ... 

will try if "make clean" will help.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

tested to confirm that "make clean" doesn't help resolving this .....