Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

build messages. Where are the going?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When building using eclipe nios IDE, you see some messages flashing by in the build window. After its done those messages seems to vanish. Arent they recorded somewhere so one can browse then? 

Likewise if I have the linker LD generate a map by specifying -M in the linker properties settings page (linker flags), I cant find where this map is put. 

Have you hints on this? 

henning
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

When building using eclipe nios IDE, you see some messages flashing by in the build window. After its done those messages seems to vanish. Arent they recorded somewhere so one can browse then?[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes they are recorded. In the console window just select the C Build Tab and you&#39;re in buisiness. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Likewise if I have the linker LD generate a map by specifying -M in the linker properties settings page (linker flags), I cant find where this map is put.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

You actually have to use the linker option -Wl,-Map,fred.map, because we&#39;re using the compiler to link. The file fred.map will appear in the top directory of your application. If you use -M as you suggest the map file just appears in the console
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When building using eclipe nios IDE, you see some messages flashing by in the build window. After its done those messages seems to vanish. Arent they recorded somewhere so one can browse then?  

Yes they are recorded. In the console window just select the C Build Tab and you&#39;re in buisiness.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

But in addition select the project top in the navigator window! This took me a while to figure out. Sometimes the C-build console worked, and some times not. Somewhat frustrating. If the top is not selected the c-build is empty! Note that you may have to flip once between different tops (for instance your syslib and your project top) to get the console updated. 

This time variant environment takes some getting-used-to http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif  

Anyway your hint about generating the linker map worked. Thank you very much. I have added the string "Wl,-Map,fred.map" as suggested to the "properties page"->"compiler flags" for the project. It seems not to be needed/used in the compiler flags for the projecyt_syslib.
0 Kudos