Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

build verilog files to ceate custom components

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am a student who have just started to use the SOPC builder and Nios2 IDE. I want to add a custom component, a 128*64 LCD, to the SOPC Builder. After reading the "Quartus II Version 5.1 Handbook Volume 4: SOPC Builder5. Component Editor" , I know that a verilog or vhdl file has to be designed. But I donnot know how to design the file. Could someone please explain it to me and give me a example? Thank you! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by mxy_1984@Mar 14 2006, 04:52 PM 

i am a student who have just started to use the sopc builder and nios2 ide. i want to add a custom component, a 128*64 lcd, to the sopc builder. after reading the "quartus ii version 5.1 handbook volume 4: sopc builder5. component editor" , i know that a verilog or vhdl file has to be designed. but i donnot know how to design the file. could someone please explain it to me and give me a example?  thank you! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/rolleyes.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13415) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

More examples are situated in altera\kits\nios2\components\directory, but source code would be generated by SOPC builder. 

If you wish design custom component you must know HDL languages.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by slava+mar 14 2006, 10:14 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (slava @ mar 14 2006, 10:14 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-mxy_1984@Mar 14 2006, 04:52 PM 

i am a student who have just started to use the sopc builder and nios2 ide. i want to add a custom component, a 128*64 lcd, to the sopc builder. after reading the "quartus ii version 5.1 handbook volume 4: sopc builder5. component editor" , i know that a verilog or vhdl file has to be designed. but i donnot know how to design the file. could someone please explain it to me and give me a example?  thank you! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/rolleyes.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13415) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

More examples are situated in altera\kits\nios2\components\directory, but source code would be generated by SOPC builder. 

If you wish design custom component you must know HDL languages. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13417)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you! I have experience in developing peripherial controller with wishborn bus in verilog language and I also have the nios2 examples run successfully in the altera devoloping Board. Bud I still feel puzzuled in how to use the avolon bus interface of the nios2 processor to creat custom peripherial. Could you please give me such a example in verilog or vhdl language? or email it to me? Thanks. 

maxiaoyu_1984@126.com
0 Kudos