Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

cache not enable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

I have some questions about the U-boot. The hardware board is designed by myself. The SoC is 10AS016E4F27E3SG. 

I run the Bootloader on the board and print the following information: 

U-Boot 2014.10 (Apr 20 2018 - 13:44:44) 

CPU : Altera SOCFPGA Arria 10 Platform 

BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Arria 10 Dev Kit 

I2C: ready 

DRAM: WARNING: Caches not enabled 

SOCFPGA DWMMC: 0 

FPGA: writing output_file.rbf ... 

Full Configuration Succeeded. 

emif_reset interrupt acknowledged 

Error: Could Not Calibrate SDRAM 

DDRCAL: Failed 

INFO : Skip relocation as SDRAM is non secure memory 

Reserving 2048 Bytes for IRQ stack at: ffe386e8 

DRAM : 0 Bytes 

data abort 

pc : [<ffe001cc>] lr : [<ffe024cd>] 

sp : ffe3fff0 ip : 00000016 fp : 00000001 

r10: ffd02078 r9 : ffe38ee8 r8 : ffe00000 

r7 : ffe20444 r6 : 00000000 r5 : 00000000 r4 : ffeff000 

r3 : ffe38faf r2 : ffe40000 r1 : ffe3b000 r0 : ffe38ee8 

Flags: nzcv IRQs on FIQs on Mode SVC_32 

Resetting CPU ... 

resetting ... 

Why is the cache not enabled?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure not having the cache enable at such an early point in the boot process is really a problem. I think the real problem is the SDRAM calibration that failed. You can compile a new version of the preloader wich will give you more output on the calibration process and where it fails, by changing the RUNTIME_CAL_REPORT to 1 in uboot-socfpga/board/altera/socfpga/sdram/sequencer_defines.h and recompiling it. 

Have a look at https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_ip... sections 17.4 and 17.5 for more information on how to debug calibration failures.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for your reply.I changed RUNTIME_CAL_REPORT to 1 according to your method&#65292;but I could not also calibrate SDRAM.The error message is consistent.I found that I didn't place the PLL reference clock pin in the address/command bank.Through the reference design I found that the PLL-ref-clock should be a differential clock,but I didn't connect the differential clock outside BANK 2K( address/command bank).Is this the reason twhy I can't calibrate DDR?In this case, what suggestions can be set to generate pll_ref_clk clock, so as to achieve the DDR3 read and write control.

TSege1
Beginner

Hi,

I am also have the same problem with emif_reset message on Arria 10 U-boot with DDR4

I also  changed RUNTIME_CAL_REPORT to 1, and i dont see debug printing.

did you managed to get the debug printing on U-boot?

can you advice?

Thanks!