Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

can I perform file operation using HAL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can I perform ANSI-C format file operations, such as fopen(), fscan(), fread(), using HAL instead of using OS file system ? 

thx!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Cloud 

Yes you can. I use fopen/fread/etc... with my ROZIPFS(ReadOnlyZipFileSystem included with NIOS II SDK) 

Regards 

GreateWhite.DK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by greatewhite.dk@Sep 22 2004, 01:20 AM 

hi cloud 

yes you can. i use fopen/fread/etc... with my rozipfs(readonlyzipfilesystem included with nios ii sdk) 

regards 

greatewhite.dk 

--- Quote End ---  

hi, GreateWhite, thanks,  

Can I use SDK to achieve all the functions of IDE, such as puting operating system on the board, build a file in flash disk, compiling using newlib, etc? I prefer SKD 

Best regards, 

zhiguo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Cloud 

Don't exactly know what you mean 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

Can I use SDK to achieve all the functions of IDE, such as puting operating system on the board, build a file in flash disk, compiling using newlib, etc? I prefer SKD[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I use the IDE to make my filesystem and burn it to flash. But you can ofcourse also do all these things from your command prompt(SOPC builder/cygwin). Here you can use the nios2-elf-xxx tools for just about everything. These are the tools that the IDE uses I think(no veteran at this) 

Regards 

GreateWhite.DK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, GreateWhite. I might not express the problem well. It is ok. I need more study about NIOS II. I just got the new board and I am going to switch from NIOS I to NIOS II platform. The IDE seem much more powerful than SDK for NIOS I. I just hope that SDK for NIOS II are as powerful as IDE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Cloud 

It has become a much better tool with the use of the IDE. I think it&#39;s much easier to get started with the IDE than with the NIOS 1 tools and all those makefiles.  

But the big negative thing about the IDE and the NIOS II is that the documentation SXXKS big time(I think). Often you cannot find anything of use in the documentation. 

So I think you will become a happy NIOSFORUM user. I know I am http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif  

Regards 

GreateWhite.DK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, GreatWhite, 

"It has become a much better tool with the use of the IDE, I think it&#39;s much easier to get started with the IDE than with the NIOS 1 tools and all those makefiles. " do you mean we can learn by IDE and then use SDK after that? 

I am familar with Nios 1 sdk tool. I am afraind that although IDE have a friendly interface, I have little control on the design flow. I want to control the compilation process, such as generating assembly code from c code, and compiling assembly code to binary code etc. 

So the sdk may give more control to us. I am not familiar with IDE. Maybe , we can combine this two environment to get a tradeoff between freedom of control and the easiness of interface.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was the same way cloud. But in a few days I liked the IDE a lot better. If you worked with the germs monitor a lot to dump you&#39;re code to the board your going to love what the IDE does for you. 

I use it as my editor/compiler, and as the communication terminal between the NIOS II and PC. It has debug capabilities too but I&#39;ve never used them (I one of those I can find out anything from a printf kind of people http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif ) 

Read up on the hardware software tutorial since both show the process towards designing for the NIOS II. There were a few issues I ran into when I tried my own design, but I have to admit I fixed them a lot faster then I could have with NIOS I. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp (http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio2.jsp)
0 Kudos