Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

cannot compile u-boot for DE1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello folks. 

I am trying to compile u-boot for the DE1 board. I am following the instructions on this (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/dasuboot) page to the point. 

A nios processor and some of its peripherals were instantiated from the de1 board cd, specifically the DE1_NIOS from the DE1_demonstrations. It compiled fine and I was also able to program it into the board. 

Then with the SOPC file, I created a header for uboot using the 'sopc-create-config-files' and put it in the right directory. I am using linux to build uboot for this board. The make version is 3.83 and the gcc version is 4.5.1 . 

After doing a make clean and make my_nios2_config, I issue a make in the u-boot directory (within the nios2-linux directory) upon which I got the following errors: 

interrupts.c: In function 'reset_timer': interrupts.c:59: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) interrupts.c:59: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once interrupts.c:59: error: for each function it appears in.) interrupts.c: In function 'tmr_init': interrupts.c:120: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) interrupts.c:127: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_FREQ' undeclared (first use in this function) interrupts.c:132: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_IRQ' undeclared (first use in this function) make: *** Error 1  

I am keen to hear some from people who have managed this. And im sure there must be quite a few out there :) 

thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try to set the 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_BASE=0' 

'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_FREQ=0' 

'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_IRQ=0'
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This will most probably make the system crash. 

The code is expecting to find a timer and doesn't. I have no idea how uboot's configuration and building works, but I'm guessing you must configure something somewhere to have the CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_* defines point to the real constants defined in system.h for the system timer component.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to add the appropriate 'timer' to the sopc system.

0 Kudos