Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

cannot compile u-boot for DE1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello folks. 

I am trying to compile u-boot for the DE1 board. I am following the instructions on this (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/dasuboot) page to the point. 

A nios processor and some of its peripherals were instantiated from the de1 board cd, specifically the DE1_NIOS from the DE1_demonstrations. It compiled fine and I was also able to program it into the board. 

Then with the SOPC file, I created a header for uboot using the 'sopc-create-config-files' and put it in the right directory. I am using linux to build uboot for this board. The make version is 3.83 and the gcc version is 4.5.1 . 

After doing a make clean and make my_nios2_config, I issue a make in the u-boot directory (within the nios2-linux directory) upon which I got the following errors: 

interrupts.c: In function 'reset_timer': interrupts.c:59: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) interrupts.c:59: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once interrupts.c:59: error: for each function it appears in.) interrupts.c: In function 'tmr_init': interrupts.c:120: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) interrupts.c:127: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_FREQ' undeclared (first use in this function) interrupts.c:132: error: 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_IRQ' undeclared (first use in this function) make: *** Error 1  

I am keen to hear some from people who have managed this. And im sure there must be quite a few out there :) 

thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try to set the 'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_BASE=0' 

'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_FREQ=0' 

'CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_IRQ=0'
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This will most probably make the system crash. 

The code is expecting to find a timer and doesn't. I have no idea how uboot's configuration and building works, but I'm guessing you must configure something somewhere to have the CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_* defines point to the real constants defined in system.h for the system timer component.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to add the appropriate 'timer' to the sopc system.