Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

cfi flash using nios 2 flash programmer

praveenkumar
Beginner

i , i am trying to boot the cfi flash .

but first i want to debug whether it is working prperly or not .

i cannected genric tri state controller and conduit bridge and assigned pins in pin planner .and compiled.

now i want to write and read from cfi flash .

in nios ii sbt tool  i write the code for reading the cfi flash and for also writing.

but jtag is not detecting  . how is it possible can anyone help me.

please reply for my message

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @praveenkumar,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope this message find you well and apologies for the delayed in response.
Would suggest to check on a few things 1) Check if the JTAG UART IP being added to the design 2) Board are connected to the PC and with the proper cable and driver installed (assume you are using Windows environment) 3) Check if the JTAG pin are connected correctly based on the board datasheet.
If possible please do share a screenshot on where the mention jtag error occurred.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @praveenkumar,

Just to add on, as mention in the other post on the board used which is cyclone ii.

You may refer to the following guide here for further details on how to configure the JTAG.

Please do let us know if that helps.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
praveenkumar
Beginner

now jtag is detecting. but the problem is i am using micron nor flash  . i connected the generic tri state controller and conduit bridge  .i am reading the flash locations with the cfi drivers . it showing thedata  oxffff  from locations.

In nios ii command shell i used the nios2-flash-programmer --debug  base address

it shows flash is empty  cannot perform read or erase  opearations on empty flash.

what does it mean ?i already stored programm in flash using    PFL in altera throug quartus programmer by programming the .pof file . but it says it is empty. i dont understand .can u help me with this.

0 Kudos
praveenkumar
Beginner

As in below  attached flow file i am getting an error like no cfi table found . i am using p33 micron nor flash  rc 64 ball bga package .

i used tristate controller and tristate bridge     .also have another doubt for this flash using dclk  . we are  clock for giving tristate controller . both clocks must be same or different or tristate controller clock will be sufficient for accesing the nor flash

0 Kudos