Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

coherent pool kernel parameter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a Cyclone V ST system. 

I'm trying to transfer buffers of memory from the HPS to my FPGA. Since the FPGA needs to use it's DDR memory for other things, I thought I'd get the ARM to allocate them using dma_alloc_coherent. My driver works, and I can allocate a 100k buffer. But as soon as I try and allocate a 400k buffer it says that the coherent pool is too small, and that I need to set the coherent_pool= parameter in the kernel parameters. 

So I've editted my startup script to allocate 8M of ram to the coherent pool (added coherent_pool=8M) but now it doesn't allocate any memory to the pool, and I can't allocate anything. It complains that the coherent pool hasn't been initialised, but the startup messages show that it can't allocate it. Why not? Has anyone succeeded adding the coherent_pool= parameter?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Where are you adding `coherent_pool=` I am also trying to increase this on my Cyclone V SX and I'm not sure how to set that parameter.