Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

de10 nano ethernet phy clock loanio

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everybody, 

I'm working on an implementation of openpowerlink (http://openpowerlink.sourceforge.net/web/openpowerlink/documentation.html) for the de10-nano platform. 

The powerlink fpga code needs to talk directly to the ethernet phy. The connection works via loanio. Now the ethernet phy needs a 25MHz clock. When I implement a pll feeding the fpga code and the loanio, the fitter complains it can't generate such connection.  

Is there any way, I could get the same 25MHz clock for the fpga part as for the ethernet phy? 

Help is very appreciated at this point, 

many thanks, 

Simon
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I remember seeing some sort of similar issues if I implement SignalTap inside the design. If you have SignalTap, try removing that and see if that helps. If not, try using one of the clocks that are generated from the HPS itself (User Clock 0 or 1)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I remember seeing some sort of similar issues if I implement SignalTap inside the design. If you have SignalTap, try removing that and see if that helps. If not, try using one of the clocks that are generated from the HPS itself (User Clock 0 or 1) 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not using signal tap. I tried using the HPS clocks aswell, same fitter error. 

I ended up using a clock divider instead of the pll.
0 Kudos