Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

device tree source ehternet and skew timing => performance issue ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

hello, 

i ve some problem with the network performance and the cyclone 5 on linux. 

i try different kernel versions, after some error research i found 

the solution, it was/is the ethernet skew. 

with the socfpga default device tree source @github (socfpga_cyclone5_sockit.dts), i get only ~10-40 Mbits/s with iperf. 

i change the skew at the dts and the speed is now ~600Mbits/s. 

That was the original stuff: 

&gmac1 { status = "okay"; phy-mode = "rgmii"; rxd0-skew-ps = <0>; rxd1-skew-ps = <0>; rxd2-skew-ps = <0>; rxd3-skew-ps = <0>; txen-skew-ps = <0>; txc-skew-ps = <2600>; rxdv-skew-ps = <0>; rxc-skew-ps = <2000>; }; 

i change it to: 

&gmac1 { status = "okay"; phy-mode = "rgmii"; txd0-skew-ps = <0>; /* -420ps */ txd1-skew-ps = <0>; /* -420ps */ txd2-skew-ps = <0>; /* -420ps */ txd3-skew-ps = <0>; /* -420ps */ rxd0-skew-ps = <420>; /* 0ps */ rxd1-skew-ps = <420>; /* 0ps */ rxd2-skew-ps = <420>; /* 0ps */ rxd3-skew-ps = <420>; /* 0ps */ txen-skew-ps = <0>; /* -420ps */ txc-skew-ps = <1860>; /* 960ps */ rxdv-skew-ps = <420>; /* 0ps */ rxc-skew-ps = <1680>; /* 780ps */ max-frame-size = <3800>; status = "okay"; }; 

Where can i get the skew settings? 

i dont want to roll the dice. 

we use an custom design board with cylcone 5 and an micrel ksz9031 phy. 

thanks for the support
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello roll3, 

I stumbled over the same question. So how to find/calculate the correct PHY skew settings? I found the following two sources which deals with the topic: 

1.“Cyclone V and Arria V SoC Device Design Guideline -> Board Design Guideline for SoC FPGAs -> Design Guideline for HPS Interfaces -> HPS EMAC PHY Interface: https://www.altera.com/documentation/doq1481305867183.html#fvj1481304448658 

2. KSZ9031RNX Datasheet -> 3.9.3 RGMII PAD SKEW REGISTERS: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/00002117f.pdf 

So the skew settings depends on the used MAC (here Cyclone V), the board traces (your layout) and the PHY (here the KSZ9031). However, I did not figure out how to apply the given information correctly. Do you have newer information about the topic? 

Best regards, 

niosIIuser