Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

display a large image by nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, my project is use nios to display a image on a projector(about 854x480x3x30 pixels per second). i used to display image by sdram without nios, but this project i must to use nios(old project function upgrade). i think nios II is too slow, i cant sync data transfer and image display(i tried pingpong fifo,use io as flag transfer,reduce frame rate to 2 frames per second etc). and when i try to read data from sdram directly the whole program stop function. it looks i cant effect sdram when i used it in nios? 

so any suggest for image display?i got struck at this function.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you'll need to be more specific if you hope to get any assistance here. 

It also sounds suspiciously like a school project ("...I must use a nios..."). No commercial project would have such a requirement; you use what makes sense to do the job. Having a CPU streaming from a frame buffer to a video output - inside an FPGA - is just, well, silly. 

You can of course access SDRAM from a NIOS. Speed also depends on how you clock your design, caching, software architecture etc.