Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

dosfstools dosfsck MMU vs. non mmu

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks in advance. 

I've done a lot of designs with Compact Flash where we couldn't control when we got powered down so we always used .ext3 and recovered nicely. 

Our board is currently using the non-mmu because of memory constraints. 

A customer wants to use FAT32 -- I'm using some newer Compact Flash drives with built in power down circuitry. The compact flash data doesn't get corrupt BUT when I do a "dosfsck -a" 

ON THE non-mmu system: (I've ported dosfstools 3.0.5 into the release) 

at boot I see "logical sector size is zero" so basically it DOES NOT check the disk.  

ON THE MMU system (ver. 3.0.5): 

at boot it actually checks the disk (well it accesses the disk for awhile) and then just gives me a message: 

/dev/sda1: 10 files, 517462/1999613 clusters 

Can anyone help me understand why the MMU system doesn't report the "logical sector..." while the non-mmu system does? 

I want to make sure that the disks can be written to. Should the disks be reformatted when this message is seen? Is there a way in the non-mmu system to fix the "logical sector size is zero" at boot time? 

I just need to know enough about FAT32 and dosfsck so we don't lose data & we can recover from any corruption of the disk.
0 Kudos
0 Replies