Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

ecos on niosii

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Helo: 

I am a fresher in using ecos on niosII IDE ,yesterday I design a program ,when I configurate the project ,A dialogule about conflicts are appeared and four conflict were found but the propose not found ,after I resolved the conflicts by manaully ,I builded the library and found following errors: 

make: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build' 

make -r -C hal/common/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/hal/common/v2_0' 

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `headers'. 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/hal/common/v2_0' 

make -r -C io/common/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/io/common/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/io/common/v2_0' 

make -r -C io/serial/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/io/serial/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/io/serial/v2_0' 

make -r -C infra/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/infra/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/infra/v2_0' 

make -r -C kernel/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/kernel/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/kernel/v2_0' 

make -r -C services/memalloc/common/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/services/memalloc/common/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/services/memalloc/common/v2_0' 

make -r -C isoinfra/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/isoinfra/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/isoinfra/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/common/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/common/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/common/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/i18n/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/i18n/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/i18n/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/setjmp/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/setjmp/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/setjmp/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/signals/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/signals/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/signals/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/startup/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/startup/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/startup/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/stdio/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/stdio/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/stdio/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/stdlib/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/stdlib/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/stdlib/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/string/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/string/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/string/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libc/time/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/time/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libc/time/v2_0' 

make -r -C language/c/libm/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libm/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/language/c/libm/v2_0' 

make -r -C io/wallclock/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/io/wallclock/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/io/wallclock/v2_0' 

make -r -C error/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/error/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/error/v2_0' 

make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0' 

make -r -C devs/sopc/common/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/devs/sopc/common/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/devs/sopc/common/v2_0' 

make -r -C devs/sopc/altera_avalon_jtag_uart/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/devs/sopc/altera_avalon_jtag_uart/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/devs/sopc/altera_avalon_jtag_uart/v2_0' 

make -r -C devs/sopc/altera_avalon_timer/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/devs/sopc/altera_avalon_timer/v2_0' 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/devs/sopc/altera_avalon_timer/v2_0' 

headers finished 

make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 /cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/gtf-launch 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0' 

/cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/gtf-launch: not found 

make[1]: `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/gtf-launch' is up to date. 

make[1]: *** [/cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/include/cyg/hal/system.h] Error 127 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0' 

make: *** [build] Error 2make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 /cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/include/cyg/hal/system.h 

/cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/gtf-launch --gtf=`cygpath -m /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0/gtf/system.h.gtf` --output-directory=`cygpath -m /cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/include/cyg/hal/` 

make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/examples/example_build' 

what are happened , who can help me ? 

thanks . 

Additional ,while using ecos on NIOSII IDE, are the additional GNU tools required ?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suspect that you are going to find that the file /cygdrive/e/examples/example_install/gtf-launch has been succesfully built, and that for some reason it's not being located for execution. 

Assuming this is the case, then this is likely to be something to do with the configuration of your PC. It would be worth checking to see if there's anything peculiar about the setup of your E drive (you may want to try an alternative drive by way of a test). 

You should also run the 'mount' command from within your SDK shell to see if there's anything unusual about how the E drive is being mounted.  

If you can't get to the bottom of this, then please provide as much information as you can about the versions of the tools you are using, which version of windows you are using, what version of cygwin you are using, the output of the mount command etc. 

That may help us get to the bottom of this. 

In answer to your second question, the only GNU tools required to build eCos for Nios II are those provided with the kit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello monkey : 

I 've done and found the file "gtf-launch" in the right directory , and rebuilded the project on other drivers but not successed yet,meanwhile ,I've "mounted" the drive in the condition of "niosII sdk shell", the result was following: 

[sopc builder ]$ mount 

d:\altera\quartus41\bin\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system<textmode> 

d:\altera\quartus41\bin\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system<textmode> 

d:\altera\quartus41\bin\cygwin on type system<textmode> 

c: on /cygwindrive/c ttype user <textmode, noumount> 

d: on /cygwindrive/c ttype user <textmode, noumount> 

e: on /cygwindrive/c ttype user <textmode, noumount> 

f: on /cygwindrive/c ttype user <textmode, noumount> 

g: on /cygwindrive/c ttype user <textmode, noumount> 

and the project on the windows2000sp4, nios1.01 ,QII4.1  

Additional ,when I builded the project ,a dialog about the conflict floating, but the "propose "list is glue and advices not appear ,what happen to it . 

how can I do for it ,what wrong with me? 

thanks u
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

aihuazou, 

Try QII 4.1 SP2, as that&#39;s what we did all the testing against. 

Also please only post each response once.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks u. 

I returned to use the QII4.1sp2 ,now the posted errors had disappeared ,but now I found a new problem,which was after I builded a library for a project , if I wanted to use  

"nios2configtool " to design another project , the NIOSII SDK warned me that "nios2configtool is running on. close down the other nios2configtool before starting this instance.If u are not running nios2configtool ,please delete the file :/../..../nios2_auto.cdl" 

but when I deleted the file,the ecos did not run. 

what&#39;s wrong with me ,how can I do for it .? Does the promble result from the last project ,the version of designing methods including niosII1.01, QII4.1sp2, win2000sp4 ,or  

others. 

thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

aihuazou 

I&#39;m glad SP2 fixed your problem. 

What do you mean by  

"the ecos did not run" 

Are there any error messages, if so please post them? 

Make sure you have shut down ALL instances of configtool/nios2configtool, delete the nios2_auto.cdl and then try again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello rugbybloke: 

when I secondly used configation tools to builde the project ,I found the problem last posted appeared ,it was said that the promble was not fixed yet. Additional , when I change the path of the user tools (which is listed :TOOLS->Paths->user tool) ,in default ,the path=d:\nios2\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin ,and the result is that  

"make: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_build&#39; 

make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 headers 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0&#39; 

ÃüÁîÓï·¨²»ÕýÈ·¡£(syntax of the command is incorrectness) 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0&#39; 

sed: -e expression# 1, char 11: Unknown option to `s&#39; 

make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_build&#39; 

make[1]: *** [/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_install/include/cyg/hal/alt_types.h] Error 1 

make: *** [headers] Error 2 

make --directory "/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_build" 

but when i changed the path of user tools:path=d:\altera\quartus41\bin\cygwin\bin  

the result is below: 

"make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0&#39; 

make[1]: *** [/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_install/include/cyg/hal/system.h] Error 127 

nios2-elf-gcc -E -P -Wp,-MD,target.tmp -DEXTRAS=1 -xc -I/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_install/include -I/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 -I/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0/src -I/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0/tests -I. -g -O3 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc -finit-priority -DSYSTEM_BUS_WIDTH=32 -mno-hw-mul -o /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/ai_install/gtf-launch /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0/src/gtf-launch.in 

make: *** [build] Error 2" 

as same as before. what is wrong with me ,and which path of the user tools is right? Meanwhile ,whether I should install another Cygwin to the system? and how can i get the detial information of the error ,such as error 127,1 etc.  

I am crazy , I don&#39;t know how to reslove it ,all the configation are executed according to  

the ecos 2.0 for niosII docs. 

help me ,my God!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems that you&#39;ve got yourself tied in a bit of a knot with this one! 

You need to make sure that the user tools path is set to the default value configured by the installer. If you have any doubt about whether this is the case, you should reinstall ecos. 

Having done this it&#39;s important to make sure that you launch nios2configtool from within an SDK shell from the Nios II 1.0.1 kit rather than from a regular bash shell. The sed problem you are describing is caused by an incorrectly configured path. The path should be configured correctly by default from with an SDK shell. 

If your problem persists, then check that you don&#39;t have a conflicting version of cygwin installed on your machine. That may be causing you problems.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello monkeyboy: 

when QII4.1sp2 been installing, the cygwin was installed too . Can you tell me if this version is the correct cygwin using by QII4.1 and ecos. 

u told me that I can set the path of the "user tools " using the default (path=d:\nios2\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin ), I tried it ,but when i applied it ,then a dialog box was appeared which content is that "d:\nios2\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin does not appear to contain the user tools ---use this folder anyway " when I choose "yes" ,the builded result is below: 

"make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0&#39; 

/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/gtf-launch: not found 

make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/include/cyg/hal/system.h 

make[1]: ***make[1]: *** [/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/include/cyg/hal/system.h] Error 255make[1]: `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/gtf-launch&#39; is up to date. 

make: *** [build] Error 2 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0&#39; 

make -r -C hal/nios2/arch/v2_0 /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/include/cyg/hal/system.h 

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_build/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0&#39; 

/cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/gtf-launch --gtf=`cygpath -m /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/nios2/arch/v2_0/gtf/system.h.gtf` --output-directory=`cygpath -m /cygdrive/d/nios2/components/ecos/ecos-work/a_install/include/cyg/hal/`" 

and after changing the path ,the file "gtf-launch" was found ,but the error seemed to be changed . 

On our PC ,the "cygwin " following the QII4.1sp2 is the only "cygwin" , and the version of the niosII is "Version: 1.0, Build: 316e + sp1" , what&#39;s wrong and is the version of the "cygwin" is right? If the path of QII4.1sp2 is that "path= d:/altera" and the path of NIOSII is "path=d:/nios" ,the ecos is installed in "path=d:/nios2/compinent / " .when I configurate the project "d:/nios2/examples/ verilog/niosII_cyclone_1c20/standard/" where is the right path of the configuration . 

thanks !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

who can help me ! I has got myself tied in a bit of knot. 

help me ,my God
0 Kudos