Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

elf2flash can't find boot copier

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just installed Quartus II 3.0 (yes, the old version) alongside my existing Quartus II 4.0 and Nios II IDE installations. Since then, building any software project in N2IDE produces this error: 

Kind Status Priority Description Resource In Folder Location 

Error *** [ext_flash.flash] Error 5 HelloWorld_altera  

Error 05 PM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error generating Flash file, exiting[Aug 31, 2004 1] HelloWorld_altera line 46 

Error 05 PM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error reading boot copier[Aug 31, 2004 1] HelloWorld_altera line 46 

Error 05 PM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Read error: File not found: /boot_loader_cfi.srec[Aug 31, 2004 1] HelloWorld_altera line 46 

The file in question, boot_loader_cfi.srec, does exist; it's in C:\altera\kits\nios2\components\altera_nios2. My SOPC_KIT_NIOS2 and SOPC_BUILDER_PATH are both set to C:\altera\kits\nios2. In the Nios II IDE Window -> Preferences dialog, the Nios II Kit Location option is set to "Use SOPC_KIT_NIOS2 environment variable to find Nios II tools" and Quartus II Location is set to C:\quartus, where Quartus II 4.0 is installed. 

I need to have both versions of Quartus installed in order to do testing. 

Any idea what's going on here?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I looked in Eclipse's workspace/.metadata/.log file, but there was nothing interesting there. 

I tried specifying the Nios II Kit Location and Cygwin Tools Location directly, but that had no effect.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

chances are the quartus root dir is mixed up. 

make sure you run the latest version of Quartus, then run the IDE. 

It's a path thing for sure. 

SOPC builder has changed a bit from 3.0 to 4.0 sp1, but the IDE is part of Nios II, so I'll have to see what it relies on.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Kerri's suggestion about running the 4.0 Quartus before running the IDE is a good one. The mere act of laucnhing and quitting Quartus will globally update QUARTUS_ROOTDIR. Even though you tell the IDE to look in c:\quartus the make process may somehow be getting a QUARTUS_ROOTDIR that points to the 3.0 install.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, tried that. Now I get this error when building a hello_world project for the std_1s10ES platform: 

Kind Status Priority Description Resource In Folder Location 

Error *** No rule to make target `C:/components/altera_hal/build/app.mk'. Stop. HelloWorld_altera  

Error C:/components/altera_hal/build/app.mk: No such file or directory makefile HelloWorld_altera/Debug line 58 

It looks like what should come between "C:/" and "components/altera_hal/build/app.mk" is missing: "altera/kits/nios2". 

I then created a new application in the IDE (hello_world for std_1s10ES), built it, and got both the error above and the boot loader error I first reported here. 

Here are some environment variables (after running Quartus and the IDE): 

ALTERA_ARM9GP_ROOT=c:/altera/kits/xa/bin/arm-gnupro 

ALTERA_ARM9GP_VER=arm9-020528 

DDR_SDRAM_v1.2.1_ROOTDIR=C:\altera\megacore\ddr_sdram-v1.2.0 

LMC_HOME=C:\quartus\eda\sim_lib\excalibur\swift 

MG_LIB=C:\quartus\eda\sim_lib\excalibur\stripe_model_nt\modelgen\manager\WinNT\M 

MG_MODEL_PATH=C:\quartus\eda\sim_lib\excalibur\stripe_model_nt\modelgen\models 

MG_MODEL_REV=r0 

Path=C:\Python23\.;C:\Tcl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32 

\Wbem;C:\Perl\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared;C:\quartus\bin;C

quartus\eda\sim_lib\excalibur\swift\lib\pcnt.lib;c:\altera\excalibur\sopc_builde 

r\cygwin\bin;c:\altera\excalibur\sopc_builder\cygwin\contrib\bin;C:\quartus\bin; 

C:\Impulse\CoDeveloper\Libraries 

PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.tcl;.pyc;.pyo;.pyw;.py 

;.pys 

QESS_PLATFORM=bin 

QESS_ROOTDIR=C:\quartus 

QUARTUS_4_ROOTDIR=C:\quartus 

QUARTUS_ROOTDIR=C:\quartus 

SOPC_BUILDER_PATH=C:\altera\megacore\pci32_nios_target-v1.4.0\lib_time_limited\s 

opc_builder+C:\altera\megacore\pci32_nios_target-v1.4.0\lib\sopc_builder+C:\alte 

ra\megacore\ddr_sdram-v2.2.0\lib\sopc_builder+c:\MegaCore\ddr_sdram-v2.2.0\lib\s 

opc_builder+c:\altera\kits\nios2 

SOPC_KIT_NIOS2=c:\altera\kits\nios2 

VIP_MODELS_DIR=C:\altera\megacore\stratix_pci_pro_kit-v1.0.0\sim_lib\VisualIP;C

\altera\megacore\ddr_sdram-v1.2.0\sim_lib\VisualIP 

In the Window -> Preferences dialog, the "Effective PATH" is: 

C:\altera\kits\nios2\bin;C:\altera\kits\nios2\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin;C:\altera\kits\nios2\bin\fs2\bin;C:\quartus\bin;C:\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin;C:\Python23\.;C:\Tcl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Perl\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just closed Quartus 4 and the IDE, then restarted the IDE and tried to build some projects: 

Error in build: (Exec error:Launching failed) 

In eclipse/.metadata/.log: 

!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.core 4 4 Sep 03, 2004 15:48:26.52 !MESSAGE Error !STACK 0 java.lang.NullPointerException     at com.altera.ide.core.builder.AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.invokeMake(AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.java:483)     at com.altera.ide.core.builder.AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.incrementalBuild(AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.java:298)     at com.altera.ide.core.builder.AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.managedBuild(AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.java:187)     at com.altera.ide.core.builder.AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.build(AlteraGeneratedMakefileBuilder.java:157)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:427)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1006)     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:413)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:125)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:181)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:191)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:151)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1006)     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:413)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:165)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:265)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.build(Project.java:85)     at org.eclipse.ui.actions.BuildAction.invokeOperation(BuildAction.java:156)     at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceAction.execute(WorkspaceAction.java:122)     at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceAction$1.execute(WorkspaceAction.java:279)     at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation$1.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:71)     at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1595)     at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:85)     at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:101) 

Then I did a "Rebuild" of a project. Now, building projects only gives me the boot loader error, not the mysterious "(Exec error:Launching failed)" nor the app.mk file-not-found problem.
0 Kudos