Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12421 Discussions

elf2flash for Stratix-IV PCB instructions confusing...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a NIOS II design for the Stratix-IV 530KHC2 Dev. PCB. Hardware works, software works fine when downloaded via Eclipse. The HW is now 

programmed into FLASH fine. Now I want to program the SW into FLASH so that NIOS II boots from FLASH, copies the code into DDR3 

and starts to run from there. 

I am confused about the given instructions: 

elf2flash --base=0x08000000 --end=0x0BFFFFFF --reset=0xB4A0000 --input=<yourfile>_sw.elf --output=<yourfile>_sw.flash --boot=$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec 

The NIOS II has a reset address of 0x00000000 (setup in QSYS) which is propagated into the .elf file by Eclipse. So when I try to follow the above conversion I get an error  

0x00000000 does not agree with 0xB4A0000. 

So what shell I do? I set the --reset=0x00000000 but that can't be right because I want my SW to be in the "User Software" space 

Do I modify NIOS II reset address to 0xB4A0000 ? That doesn't seem right either. 

Eclipse's BSP Editor under "linker script" does not allow me to change anything - its all greyed out. 

How do I create a .FLASH file that puts the boot-loader at 0x00000000 and copies the SW from external FLASH at 0xB4A0000 into DDR3 and runs from there? 

Thanks for you help :-P 

Shvitzer
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Even though I got a warning about the conflict between then BSP reset address of 0x00000000 and the command line of --reset=0xB4A0000 it did produce a .FLASH file. I used this .FLASH file with 

"nios2-flash-programmer --base=0x08000000 my_prog_4_24_sw.flash" and it programmed the FLASH fine, however when booting it the NIOS Console did not display my prompt. So I tried a simple 

program that displays on the LEDs a software generated count and it works ! In other words the SW which was burned into FLASH booted and ran fine. 

I still don't know why it does not access the NIOS Console. 

Shvitzer