Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.reset'

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I met a error when I compile the example (in C) in the NiosII SBT.  error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.reset'  Do anybody know why this error appeared? I have specified the address of the reset vector in the SOPC builder and just trying to test the DE1_Media_Computer programs which are provided as reference designs.  The strange thing is when I run small examples like getting_started_C or floating_C it works. But the error above appeared when running larger examples like interrupt_example_C or test_Media_Computer_C.  Thank you in advance.  Best, Dong

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I met a error when I compile the example (in C) in the NiosII SBT. 

error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.reset' 

Do anybody know why this error appeared? 

I have specified the address of the reset vector in the SOPC builder 

and just trying to test the DE1_Media_Computer programs which are 

provided as reference designs. 

The strange thing is when I run small examples like getting_started_C  

or floating_C it works. But the error above appeared when running 

larger examples like interrupt_example_C or test_Media_Computer_C. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best, 

Dong 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Dong! 

I realize this post is 2 years old. But I am having the same issue as you did. I have searched a lot on the forums but could not find a solution. How did you solve this problem? 

Regards, 

Ankur
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a small bit of code that the NIOS2 jumps to when it is reset which might, for example, copy code from FLASH to RAM. Your reset vector needs to point at a properly tagged memory region where this code will reside. 

You might have a look at the map file using the -Map mapfile option to nios2-elf-ld and or "nios2-elf-objdump -h <xxx.exe>", and or at your linker script.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanx Jeffrey. I found a doc that talked about memory assignment and I added a mapping for '.reset' in the linker script. That seemed to take care of the issue. There is another problem though.. I am trying to implement the DE1_Basic _Computer. The projects builds and compiles. But only the red LEDs light up; the 7 Seg and the green LEDs don't work. I guess because the 8 second timer is not being incremented in the exception handling and interrupt service routines. I have tried to find the documents and PDFs relating to this but could not find a solution. Do you have a suggestion? 

Thanks once again.
0 Kudos