Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.reset'

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I met a error when I compile the example (in C) in the NiosII SBT.  error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.reset'  Do anybody know why this error appeared? I have specified the address of the reset vector in the SOPC builder and just trying to test the DE1_Media_Computer programs which are provided as reference designs.  The strange thing is when I run small examples like getting_started_C or floating_C it works. But the error above appeared when running larger examples like interrupt_example_C or test_Media_Computer_C.  Thank you in advance.  Best, Dong

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I met a error when I compile the example (in C) in the NiosII SBT. 

error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.reset' 

Do anybody know why this error appeared? 

I have specified the address of the reset vector in the SOPC builder 

and just trying to test the DE1_Media_Computer programs which are 

provided as reference designs. 

The strange thing is when I run small examples like getting_started_C  

or floating_C it works. But the error above appeared when running 

larger examples like interrupt_example_C or test_Media_Computer_C. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best, 

Dong 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Dong! 

I realize this post is 2 years old. But I am having the same issue as you did. I have searched a lot on the forums but could not find a solution. How did you solve this problem? 

Regards, 

Ankur
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a small bit of code that the NIOS2 jumps to when it is reset which might, for example, copy code from FLASH to RAM. Your reset vector needs to point at a properly tagged memory region where this code will reside. 

You might have a look at the map file using the -Map mapfile option to nios2-elf-ld and or "nios2-elf-objdump -h <xxx.exe>", and or at your linker script.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanx Jeffrey. I found a doc that talked about memory assignment and I added a mapping for '.reset' in the linker script. That seemed to take care of the issue. There is another problem though.. I am trying to implement the DE1_Basic _Computer. The projects builds and compiles. But only the red LEDs light up; the 7 Seg and the green LEDs don't work. I guess because the 8 second timer is not being incremented in the exception handling and interrupt service routines. I have tried to find the documents and PDFs relating to this but could not find a solution. Do you have a suggestion? 

Thanks once again.