Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

found.srec not detected

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I was working on testing some things on the NIOS II on a DE2 board. It was working fine when I ran it as hardware. Suddenly it stopped working and this error message would flash in the console 

c:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin\gnu\H-i686-mingw32\bin\nios2-elf-objcopy.exe: 'Found': No such file Found.srec: Unable to open input file rm: cannot remove `Found.srec': No such file or directory 

I am using quartus 11.0 and have re-installed it once. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd guess that 'Found' is part of an error message that the script has failed to detect as such, and has then substituted without quoting...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, if this is a message that states it has failed to find a file, any ideas what is the name of the file it has failed to find? 

or is there a log somewhere to check?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to determine what is calling nios2-elf-objcopy.exe ... I don't know anything about the Altera build scheme. 

You are a bit hamstrung by not being on lunix (or other unix-like os) where you could replace the objcopy with (say) a script that echoes it arguments - they might be illuminative as well.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a linux system meant for uclinux development but I set aside due to probloems with the altera blaster. 

I think altera really needs to get the installer for linux sorted out. 

Just checked, its only on this particular project. Will try to recreate the entire project and see what happens.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just had the exact same problem with EDS in Quartus 13.1, but I also found out what was causing the problem.  

I had just created another workspace, because I had two parallell development projects. So what I did was to remove both workspaces (i.e. removed the .metafile directory). Restarted Eclipse and choosed one of the directories and then I imported the project to the workspace and everything work as normal again. 

/BR Johan Karlsson
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This works! Thank you very much Johan! Indeed erasing the workspace is the solution. (I completely erased the folder keeping only one file which contained my test code)

0 Kudos
MTala1
Beginner

face same problem with Quartus 18, solved based on Karlsson advise. thanks

0 Kudos
ArturKlauser
Beginner

It's 2022, and the problem persists (Quartus 21.1.1) - I just ran into it as well and spent some time root causing it.

Short story: Make sure you include a "System ID Peripheral" (SIDP) in your Nios2 platform design!

Long story:

• Assuming you have a Qsys (Platform Designer) already that shows this problem.
  • Open "Nios2 Software Build Tools for Eclipse" from Quartus -> Tools, aka. eclipse-nios2 from the command line.
  • Create a new run configuration (Run -> Run Configurations -> Nios2 Hardware) and configure its "Target Connection -> Refresh Connections" to make sure it detects your attached development board.
  • Hit "System ID Properties"
    • If you do have a SIDP in your design:
      • Expected system ID base address: 0x1234  (whatever address you gave it in your design) 
    • If you don't have a SIDP in your design:
      • Expected system ID base address: Not Found  - does that start to ring a bell?
  • Close that "System ID Properties" window
  • If you hit "Run" now, the following happens under the covers (this is on a LInux system, but I'm fairly certain the same applies to Windows since it's driven by application logic in the eclipse-nios2 Java app):
      • eclipse-nios2 calls nios2-download
        • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/nios2-download --cable=USB-Blaster on localhost [1-2] --device=1 --instance=0 --go --sidp=0x1234 --id=0xabc --timestamp=1234567890 /home/work/NIOS/software/NIOS_test/NIOS_test.elf
        • nios2-download calls nios2-elf-objcopy
          • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nios2-elf-objcopy /home/work/NIOS/software/NIOS_test/NIOS_test.elf -O srec /home/work/NIOS/software/NIOS_test/NIOS_test.elf.srec
      • So far so good, that works as expected and the software download succeeds.
      • Note that you'll probably have to check "Target Connection -> System ID Checks -> Ignore mismatched system ID" and "... -> Ignore mismatched system timestamp" in order to "Run" the configuration at all. 
        • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/nios2-download --cable=USB-Blaster on localhost [1-2] --device=1 --instance=0 --stop --accept-bad-sysid --sidp=Not Found
        • That is a bogus command line. The SIDP is set to "Not" and "Found" is taken as an .elf file that has to be sent to the board.
          • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nios2-elf-objcopy ./Found -O srec ./Found.srec
          • nios2-elf-objcopy obviously can't find the "Found" file, prints the error message we've all seen flash by
                nios2-elf-objcopy: './Found': No such file
                ./Found.srec: Unable to open input file
                rm: cannot remove './Found.srec': No such file or directory
            and exits with an error exit code.

Considering the age of this thread, that bug has been around for at least 11 years now, still unfixed!

0 Kudos
ArturKlauser
Beginner

It's 2022, and the problem persists (Quartus 21.1.1) - I just ran into it as well and spent some time root causing it.

Short story: Make sure you include a "System ID Peripheral" (SIDP) in your Nios2 platform design!

Long story:

• Open "Nios2 Software Build Tools for Eclipse" from Quartus -> Tools, aka. eclipse-nios2 from the command line.
  • Create a new run configuration (Run -> Run Configurations -> Nios2 Hardware) and configure its "Target Connection -> Refresh Connections" to make sure it detects your attached development board.
      • Expected system ID base address: 0x1234  (whatever address you gave it in your design) 
  • If you hit "Run" now, the following happens under the covers (this is on a LInux system, but I'm fairly certain the same applies to Windows since it's driven by application logic in the eclipse-nios2 Java app):
        • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/nios2-download --cable=USB-Blaster on localhost [1-2] --device=1 --instance=0 --go --sidp=0x1234 --id=0xabc --timestamp=1234567890 /home/work/NIOS/software/NIOS_test/NIOS_test.elf
          • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nios2-elf-objcopy /home/work/NIOS/software/NIOS_test/NIOS_test.elf -O srec /home/work/NIOS/software/NIOS_test/NIOS_test.elf.srec
      • Note that you'll probably have to check "Target Connection -> System ID Checks -> Ignore mismatched system ID" and "... -> Ignore mismatched system timestamp" in order to "Run" the configuration at all. 
        • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/nios2-download --cable=USB-Blaster on localhost [1-2] --device=1 --instance=0 --stop --accept-bad-sysid --sidp=Not Found
        • That is a bogus command line. The SIDP is set to "Not" and "Found" is taken as an .elf file that has to be sent to the board.
          • /bin/bash /home/quartus/../nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nios2-elf-objcopy ./Found -O srec ./Found.srec
          • nios2-elf-objcopy obviously can't find the "Found" file, prints the error message we've all seen flash by

Considering the age of this thread, that bug has been around for at least 11 years now, still unfixed!

0 Kudos
ArturKlauser
Beginner

Long story:

0 Kudos