Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

fpga load gives error code -2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

We have created a custom board with a Cyclone V on it. The boot process works: We can go from preloader to u-boot to linux. 

But now I want to load something in the FPGA, and am trying to do from u-boot. However, I get stuck at error -2: 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5# mmc rescan SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5# fatload mmc 0:2 0x2000000 switchbox_master.rbf reading switchbox_master.rbf 7007204 bytes read in 393 ms (17 MiB/s) SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5# fpga load 0 0x2000000 7007204 MSEL = 0 put FPGA in reset phase FPGA is in reset phase FPGA is out of reset phase altera_load: Failed with error code -2 

(I added some debug printout) 

According to https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131programmingfpga Error code -2 means: The FPGA is not able to enter configuration phase after FPGA reset release request being made at FPGA Manager 

Any idea what can be wrong? 

Thanks, 

Michiel
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The data transfer yet happen which indicate the error not coming from the RBF. 

A quick check on the FPGA config signal tie off against dev kit would be useful
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We based our hardware design in the EBV SoCrates board. I looked at the nCONFIG pin, but could not see any difference. Is there some other pin? Or maybe a clock? I can't probe the pins at the moment, because I need our hardware guy for that, and he is away on holiday. 

I now started the SoCrates board, and with the same rbf file, I get error -4. I think that is a seperate error, maybe related to the RBF format.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

WE solved it now. It turned out that there was a short between CONF_DONE and nSTATUS. With that fixed, programming the FPGA works. Thanks for the suggestion to look there!