Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

gdb "unable to bind" also "you can't do that when your target is `exec'" hassles

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I submitted service request 11001074 today concerning the following issue. 

To Altera: 

When coding the nios2-gdb-server please be mindful of pittfall number three described at the following URL.  

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-sockpit/ 

Since this isnt done in nios2-gdb-server then the software developer is constanty receiving the "unable to bind" error message from nios2-gdb-server unless he uses a new port every time that the nios2-gdb-server is started. Using a new port each time makes it very difficult to configure gdb to use the same port as nios2-gdb-server in the IDE.  

/media/hill/aux0/altera-install/13.0sp1/nios2eds/bin/nios2-gdb-server -C -r --tcpport 6001 

Unable to bind (98) 

We receive this error message because the ip port-address tuple stays in ip kernel wait state for NNN minutes after nios2-gdb-server exits unless the SO_REUSEADDR option is set. 

Not being able to reuse the same port number is a huge hastle for the software developer if he is using the debugger restart to restart the target. I restart the target frequently when I am debugging. 

Yes, there is also the "--tcppersist" option for nios2-gdb-server, but this requires starting nios2-gdb-server in a separate window. We prefer to start nios2-gdb-server from the IDE when launching gdb so that another step isnt required. The "--tcppersist" option isnt very appealing because we must restart the nios2-gdb-server every time that the target is powered back on which is often because the fan is very loud.
0 Kudos
0 Replies