Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

getc() and 0x00 bytes

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am having a problem reading data from an UART core. The incoming data should look like 

0A 00 00 00 D6 00 0D 

but using getc(fp) or fgetc(fp) I only get the NOT_ZERO bytes 

0A D6 0D 

This is my function: 

INT8U prompt = 0; INT8U i = 0; FILE* fp; fp= fopen(UART_BU_NAME, "r"); if (fp == NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "open failed\n"); return; } i = 0; while(prompt = fgetc(fp)){ i++; printf("0x:%02X",prompt); } printf("\n\rCounted %d characters\n\r", i); //returns value 3 (instead of 7)  

Am I using the wrong function? Since it only happens with 0 bytes, I tend to believe it has nothing to do with overflows/task priority, but only with the way how the data is interpreted. 

==== LE ===== 

With SignalTap I was able to see a read request on AvalonMM bus from the RXDATA register with value 0x00...
0 Kudos
0 Replies