Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12452 Discussions

>30% CPU load increase with USB FLash plugged in (lots of SOF interrupts)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a Cyclone V (kernel 4.1.22-ltsi-rt) with an USB3320 transceiver connected to USB1. There is a USB2422 HUB (2 port) connected to USB3320. One of the ports is connected to a 4 port CY7C65630. 

CV <--> USB3320 <--> USB2422 <-port 2-> CY7C65630 <-4-ports-> (unused) | <-port 1-> USB Flash  

When I plug-in a USB flash to USB2422 (port 1), CPU load increases by ~30% (two IRQ 36 handlers). I've found out that this is mainly due to the Start-of-Frame (SOF) interrupts being triggered every 125us. I have also enabled CONFIG_USB_DWC2_TRACK_MISSED_SOFS in the kernel and I get a dump of first 1000 missed SOFS very quickly.  

Except from the above, the USB Flash is mounted and can be used without a problem. 

My question is, is the CPU load normal or have I configured something incorrectly? 

usbphy0: usbphy@0 { 

# phy-cells = <0>; 

compatible = "usb-nop-xceiv"; 

status = "okay"; 

}; 

usb0: usb@ffb00000 { 

compatible = "snps,dwc2"; 

reg = <0xffb00000 0xffff>; 

interrupts = <0 125 4>; 

clocks = <&usb_mp_clk>; 

clock-names = "otg"; 

phys = <&usbphy0>; 

phy-names = "usb2-phy"; 

status = "disabled"; 

}; 

usb1: usb@ffb40000 { 

compatible = "snps,dwc2"; 

reg = <0xffb40000 0xffff>; 

interrupts = <0 128 4>; 

clocks = <&usb_mp_clk>; 

clock-names = "otg"; 

phys = <&usbphy0>; 

phy-names = "usb2-phy"; 

status = "disabled"; 

}; 

BR mrkozmic
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ventura
Beginner

Dear Mr. @mrkozmic

Have you been able to fix this issue?

Like you, I'm currently testing a Cyclone V Board [1] with Linux Kernel 4.1.22 with RT Patch.

My USB Devices are a little different:

CV <--> USB3320 <--> SMSC_LAN9500

I don't have a hub connected to the USB-PHY. I am directly connecting an USB to Ethernet device.

I disabled the OTG, so that I only have two IRQs instead of the default 3 IRQs assigned by the dwc2 driver (USB driver).

I am currently watching around 20% CPU usage, but when I had the 3 interrupts, I also had 30% CPU usage exactly like you reported.

The number of interrupts observed on /proc/interrupts for IRQ45 (all USB interrupts) are also very very high too, around 7000 interrupts per second!

For debug, I also tested the non-RT version and this issue does not occur.

Best Regards,

Ventura

[1] - https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKitEvaluationBoard