Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

help creating dtb

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm trying to create my own Quartus project for a Teraisc DE1-SoC board, and I'm stuck generating the bootloader. My end goal is to create a new SD card image that can boot the board with my own design in the FPGA part of the Cyclone V. 

In order to generate the .dts and .dtb files, I need soc_system_board_info.xml and hps_clock_info.xml. I have download versions that are supposed to match the reference design for the DE1-SoC. However, I do not know how these were created, and they won't match my new Qsys project. (The reference design uses IP some cores I don't have have a license for and don't need. I'm using some, but not all, of the HPS peripherals from the reference board.) How do I regenerate these files so that they match my project?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

hii!! 

try the function sopc2dts.exe -g and choose file your_project.sopcinfo 

Then, save dts and dtb files! 

ciao
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi,  

After compiling your kernel, check this directory: /arch/arm/boot/dts copy these three files: 

- skeleton.dtsi 

- socfpga.dtsi 

- socfpga_cyclone5.dts 

Now from the Embedded Command Shell, compile these files into a single .dtb file: 

dtc -I dts -O dtb -o socfpga.dtb socfpga_cyclone5.dts 

Copy the generated socfpga.dtb to your SD card and you should be able to boot kernel. 

I tried this with kernel version 3.10-ltsi, and I think all kernel versions come with .dts files. 

https://github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga 

You can edit the socfpga_cyclone5.dts file and add the entries you need and then compile it again. 

Note: you can use the sopc2dts.exe with your .sopcinfo (you get the dts file) to get the dts entries of your FPGA module.