Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

how to flush stdin buffer between two scanf?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think this is a beginner-level question. Much appreciate your answers in advance! 

The following is my simple C-code: 

#include <stdio.h># include <string.h> void main(void) { char sex; char area; do { printf("Please select your area (QLD, NSW, ACT, SA, WA, NT or TAS): "); scanf("%s", area); } while(strcmp(area,"QLD")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"NSW")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"ACT")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"SA")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"WA")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"NT")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"TAS")!= 0); do { printf("Please enter your sex (M/F): "); scanf("%c", &sex); } while(sex != 'M' && sex != 'F') ; }  

This problem is: the prompt "Please senter your sex (M/F)" always gets printed twice on the screen before a value is entered. I realized it is because when I enter the string for area, the last character ENTER gets stored in stdin buffer and is treated as the value for sex. To make the program function as expected, I have to insert another scanf("%c", &sex") between the two do-while loops to clear the stdin buffer. 

I tried to find a neater way to do this. Some online results suggest fflush(stdin) is not a good thing to do. 

Is there a better way to clear the stdin buffer, or a better coding structure to avoid such problem completely?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I myself find another way to circumvent this problem. That is to declare sex as a string, that is char sex[2], as shown below: 

#include <stdio.h> # include <string.h> void main(void) { char sex; char area; do { printf("Please select your area (QLD, NSW, ACT, SA, WA, NT or TAS): "); scanf("%s", area); } while(strcmp(area,"QLD")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"NSW")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"ACT")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"SA")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"WA")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"NT")!= 0 && strcmp(area,"TAS")!= 0); do { printf("Please enter your sex (M/F): "); scanf("%s",sex); }while(strcmp(sex,"M")!= 0 && strcmp(sex,"F")!= 0); } 

In this way, a single ENTER character, even it is stored in sex, will not make strcmp TRUE and activate the do-while loop twice. And we don't need to clear stdin buffer. 

But this seems a waste. Every case for which we only need a character now needs to be replaced by a two-character string. Is there a better way?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any if I now type "yes" the program will crash. 

The simple solution is never to use scanf, and especially never with a %s format.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply,dsl! 

Do you imply I should always use cin and cout instead of scanf and printf? What if I have to write some code in a pure C environment?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AARGGGG cin/cout are an order of magnitude worse. 

Not quite as bad as the stringstream classes though. 

Use fgets(buf, sizeof buf, stdin) to read a line and parse it yourself - in this case that just means that you need to allow for the trailinf '\n'. 

Lighter weight is to use read(0, buf, sizeof buf) - but that relies on the device drive code to generate lines (which it may not do).