Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

how to place firmware in ROM

I use NIOSII IDE ( Version: 1.1.0 Build: 137 ) to write c software for a design consisting of SRAM, peripherals and a PCI-Interface. Booting is done via EPCS and a short programme initializes all peripherals and PCI. Now the SRAM is mapped into PCI space to load the actual software for NIOS by a linux host. In the meantime NIOS runs in internal ROM (in a wait loop) until download has finished. 

How can I force the compiler / linker to place one function into this internal ROM? Adding __attribute__ ((section (".waitrom"))) doesn't work with functions. It's no problem with variables and constants so I've created an const array filled with assemby code. But how can I do this with a standard c-function? 

Mike
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You can do it with functions, but you must put the attribute on the declaration, not the definition. So your code would look something like this: 

void function(void) __attribute__ ((section (".memory_name"))); void function(void) {    /* stuff */ } 

Of course the declaration will often be in a header file.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

wombat, 

next time I'll ask you earlier. 

Thanks for your help. 

Mike
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi  

This works fine for me as well, but when I try to place a variable in the same memory, I get an error about causing a section type conflict.  

Just to make clear: I have a program running from sdram. Then I want to have a variable in onchip memory as well as another function in onchip memory. Here is the code 

int var __attribute__ ((section (".onchip_ram")))=0; int func(void) __attribute__ ((section (".onchip_ram")));  

Is there any known problem placing both of these in the same memory ? 

Nir