Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

how to port nios2 to stratix dsp s80 board?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i want to know if it's possible? thank u!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello ffone13, 

Of course it is possible to use the Nios II with your DSP EP1S80 board. There are several ways to bring your board to work with the Nios II. 

1. Take an existing reference and change all the stuff which is different to your board like FPGA, SDRAM, Flash, Pin assignments, … 

2. Setup a complete new system as it is described in the “Nios II Hardware Development Tutorial” 

Both ways need some time and work but as there is no reference design you have to do this by yourself. 

Good luck, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello niosIIuser: 

yes, there aren't any reference designs for S80 used for NiosII. there are only reference designs like DDC,QPSK and so on. In the nios application , I cann't add the cfi to device correctly. it's still the flash problem.My flash support the CFI,16bit device,but I can't open it with the Menory Test program,it's not the Nios II 1.0.1 problem,because the flash can't detect the "QRY" at all. I used 

the SignalTapII Logic Analyzer tool to view the signal of address, data,chipselect and so on. In the word model, I see the address[21..0] is:000054h ,the data[15..0] is:0098h when I execute the command:  

alt_write_flash_command_16bit_device_16bit_mode(flash->dev.base_addr, 0x55, QUERY_MODE); 

I didn't know what's the reason.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello ffone13, 

If I understand you correctly the only thing which does not work with your Nios II design on your EP1S80 board is the flash. Is that correct? Did you add the following line in the source-code of “altera_avalon_cfi_flash_table.c” as it was described in cfi (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=17&t=455)? 

altera_avalon_cfi_flash_table.c”, line 439: 

/* 

* Check for 8/16 bit in byte wide mode 

*/ 

// Reset the device 

IOWR_8DIRECT(flash->dev.base_addr, 0x00, 0xF0); 

alt_write_flash_command_16bit_device_8bit_mode(flash->dev.base_addr, 0x55, QUERY_MODE); 

Inserting a reset was solution in my case. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos