Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

how to reduce the size of nios soft core?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SOPC builder compiles some files automatically, such as pio_lcd16207.c, but i don't want to include this  

file and it isn't used, either. I want to cut this file to save LEs of FPGA after compilation. I want to make  

the nios core thinner.how can I make it??? 

thank u. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

.c files contain software, not hardware. Compiling these files doesn&#39;t make your core any larger. If you have components in your system that you don&#39;t use, you can remove the hardware by right-clicking on the file in SOPC Builder and selecting remove.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i forgot to mention that i didn&#39;t use the nios development board of altera. I just wrote codes and then  

put them in the rom of nios cpu without flash to store the object codes. So i think that the bigger my  

codes are, the more LEs will be used. Right?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go into the Nios II IDE and create a new "Hello Freestanding" project. This is intended for more advanced users who want to squeeze every last byte out - the source code has comments that can assist you. 

What you will want to do is build the free-standing example, and then alter the "alt_sys_init()" code we generate -- this function basically calls the initialization routines of the various peripherals in your system... you can just comment out the ones you dont want to use to save space. 

A note, though, if you modify the file with this alt_sys_init code, it will be over-written if you re-build (auto-generated file), it would be best to save your changes as your own source file/subroutine name and call that during boot-up. 

PS: Before you do this, you might also consider building the hello_world example and looking at the comments in its sorce file; it has instructions to reduce code size without switching over to the "freestanding" example.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank u first, but I&#39;m using the nios, not nios II.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you have that LCD core originally and take it out? If so did you also re-generate the NIOS (because what you are describbing shouldn&#39;t happen). 

Like what was said before, the code will not affect you&#39;re resource size (LEs). Basically the hardware is generated first then you&#39;re software is built using the characteristics of the system itself (that&#39;s why I&#39;m wondering if you re-generated the NIOS or not). 

To get extra optimization you can us the -O3 parameter for the build (if you build from the prompt that is, otherwise I&#39;m not sure if there is any other way). By default the software builds using -O2 optimization, I haven&#39;t really noticed a difference between -O3 and -O2 but you might. 

So the first step is to go into the SOPC and take a look at what&#39;s a part of the system you are generating with the NIOS
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn&#39;t use the LCD core. I don&#39;t have the dev board. I think the pio_lcd16207.c file is generated for the dev 

board and the germs_monitor.c&#39;s fucntion is the same. I have the idea to reduce nios soft core because I 

see the following info when generating system: 

# 2004.08.12.22:41:12 --- Compiling nios_uart.c 

# 2004.08.12.22:41:12 --- Assembling nios_zerorange.s 

# 2004.08.12.22:41:12 --- Compiling pio_lcd16207.c 

# 2004.08.12.22:41:12 --- Assembling pio_showhex.s 

# 2004.08.12.22:41:12 --- Compiling plugs.c 

Above is a part of the info. And also I don&#39;t want to compile the nios_uart.c file because I don&#39;t use the UART 

now. Is that clear? Maybe Jesse got it, but he answered about the nios II. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif  

thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If it&#39;s just code being created I wouldn&#39;t worry about it then. But check the core in the project breakdown to make sure it&#39;s not in there somewhere as a design module.

0 Kudos