Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

_hw.tcl advice entries on Custom IPs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks in advance. 

I have three custom IPs and I'd like to write one device driver that includes all of these components.  

In each of the _hw.tcl files I made a common GROUP name: CUSTOM_IPS (the set_module_assignment embeddedsw.dts.group from what I've read is necessary for the device tree?) 

They all have the same embeddedsw.dts.compatible statement in their respective _hw.tcl files.  

"set_module_assignment embeddedsw.dts.compatible " jpe,jpe-1.0" 

I successfully got my new .dtb file and in the /proc/device-tree/sopc@/bridge@0xc0000000 directory when I do and "ls" command I see the directories: 

CUSTOM_IPS@0x100000000 

CUSTOM_IPS@0x100030010  

CUSTOM_IPS@0x100040000 

When I load my device driver it PROBES three times and fails on the second two probes with: 

jpe: probe of ff200000.CUSTOM_IPS failed with error -5 

MY QUESTION IS --- Is it possible to access three separate memory spaces of the three custom IPs with this new scheme in the same device driver or do I have to write three separate device drivers? 

If the answer is yes, then what do I do to the _hw.tcl file(s) about the GROUP name. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

O.K. AFTER THINKING --> it makes sense to write three device drivers because I may use these IP's again in different designs. 

So, that's what I'm going to do. I'd still be interested if someone has any valid comments on this subject.
0 Kudos