Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

_hw.tcl advice entries on Custom IPs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks in advance. 

I have three custom IPs and I'd like to write one device driver that includes all of these components.  

In each of the _hw.tcl files I made a common GROUP name: CUSTOM_IPS (the set_module_assignment embeddedsw.dts.group from what I've read is necessary for the device tree?) 

They all have the same embeddedsw.dts.compatible statement in their respective _hw.tcl files.  

"set_module_assignment embeddedsw.dts.compatible " jpe,jpe-1.0" 

I successfully got my new .dtb file and in the /proc/device-tree/sopc@/bridge@0xc0000000 directory when I do and "ls" command I see the directories: 

CUSTOM_IPS@0x100000000 

CUSTOM_IPS@0x100030010  

CUSTOM_IPS@0x100040000 

When I load my device driver it PROBES three times and fails on the second two probes with: 

jpe: probe of ff200000.CUSTOM_IPS failed with error -5 

MY QUESTION IS --- Is it possible to access three separate memory spaces of the three custom IPs with this new scheme in the same device driver or do I have to write three separate device drivers? 

If the answer is yes, then what do I do to the _hw.tcl file(s) about the GROUP name. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

O.K. AFTER THINKING --> it makes sense to write three device drivers because I may use these IP's again in different designs. 

So, that's what I'm going to do. I'd still be interested if someone has any valid comments on this subject.