Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

init binary format

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After a lot of hassle I have my SD card up and running. uClinux boots and mounts the filesystem from the SD card. 

As seen below I've inserted some code into init/main.c to be able to fetch return values from kernel_execve() 

The return value is 8, which according to errno.h is /* Exec format error */. However I've checked so that the binary is in correct format (see below). 

mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable. mmc0: new SDHC card on SPI mmcblk0: mmc0:0000 SD04G 3.69 GiB ... VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 179:0. ... kernel_execve(/bin/init) returned 8 Failed to execute /bin/init. Attempting defaults... ... Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.  

I have checked that: 

• /bin/init exists 

• /bin/init is in correct binary format (bFLT) 

nios2-linux-flthdr /mnt/bin/init /mnt/bin/init Magic: bFLT Rev: 4 Build Date: Tue Feb 5 13:33:00 2013 Entry: 0x50 Data Start: 0x7fa0 Data End: 0x8f00 BSS End: 0x1c6e0 Stack Size: 0x1000 Reloc Start: 0x8f00 Reloc Count: 0x311 Flags: 0x9 ( Load-to-Ram Gzip-Data-Compressed )  

What is going on here? I've tried to compile a simple "Hello World" and replacing init= with that binary, and I get the same results (errno 8). Shouldn't the binaries be in bFLT format? I have tried with ELF as well, but same result. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
0 Replies