Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

init binary format

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After a lot of hassle I have my SD card up and running. uClinux boots and mounts the filesystem from the SD card. 

As seen below I've inserted some code into init/main.c to be able to fetch return values from kernel_execve() 

The return value is 8, which according to errno.h is /* Exec format error */. However I've checked so that the binary is in correct format (see below). 

mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable. mmc0: new SDHC card on SPI mmcblk0: mmc0:0000 SD04G 3.69 GiB ... VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 179:0. ... kernel_execve(/bin/init) returned 8 Failed to execute /bin/init. Attempting defaults... ... Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.  

I have checked that: 

• /bin/init exists 

• /bin/init is in correct binary format (bFLT) 

nios2-linux-flthdr /mnt/bin/init /mnt/bin/init Magic: bFLT Rev: 4 Build Date: Tue Feb 5 13:33:00 2013 Entry: 0x50 Data Start: 0x7fa0 Data End: 0x8f00 BSS End: 0x1c6e0 Stack Size: 0x1000 Reloc Start: 0x8f00 Reloc Count: 0x311 Flags: 0x9 ( Load-to-Ram Gzip-Data-Compressed )  

What is going on here? I've tried to compile a simple "Hello World" and replacing init= with that binary, and I get the same results (errno 8). Shouldn't the binaries be in bFLT format? I have tried with ELF as well, but same result. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
0 Replies