Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

java with uClinux and Cyclone (Nios2)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

My question is the follow: 

"There is a way to make a java virtual machine (ex. sun kvm) in uClinux?" if the answer is YES, how? 

Tnx a lot, 

Andrea
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

same question as overlord. 

we are trying waba,but we cannot find a way to compile the project. 

All help is appreciated. 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

May I ask what the application of running java on the Nios would be? Why not just use C? 

I'm sure it is possible to port java to uClinux, but you seriosuly can't expect much speed from it when running on Nios. It will be slow and eat up memory. If possible, I would recommend running java on something more powerful than Nios. 

-Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have a look at http://www.jopdesign.com (http://www.jopdesign.com). Don't know if it can help. It is actually a site for another type of processor, but it has an example C program for Nios that can run java bytecodes. 

Stefaan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tnx for a JOP's link stefaan! My processor's number is different from the number specified in the Jop's README, (I've a cyclone EP1C20 series), but perhaps i succeed to adapt it!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Make a new hardware design with the a new NIOSII and look all ncry peripherals are there. Then compile the software, ... It should work... but I didn't do it (maybe in a next life I can try). 

Also I think the Nios emulation of JAVA Bytecodes is a lot slower then the JOP processor doing the instructions directly. But if you can define enough instruction cache, so the entire emulation routine fits in, it can be rather fast I believe.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I forgot to say : maybe DCache can also be a good thing here, because JAVA doas a lot of stack operations. With the DCache enabled, the top part of the stack will be in the DCACHE because it is used very frequently. 

Stefaan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by overlord80linux@Dec 1 2004, 03:17 AM 

my processor's number is different from the number specified in the jop's readme,  (i've a cyclone ep1c20 series), but perhaps i succeed to adapt it! 

--- Quote End ---  

That's a non issue. JOP has been implemented in an ACEX FPGA, Cyclone 1C6 and 1C12, Spartan-II and Spartan-3. There is no difference between EP1C20 and EP1C6 or EP1C12. The main differences are internal memories between ACEX, Cyclone and the Xilinx devices. 

The second difference depends on the board you are using and the external memory interface. JOP has been used so far with 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit SRAM and 32-bit SDRAM. 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot Martin! the jop ,i think, is the most performable jvm for embedded machines. But i've one question to answer: I use a quartus II 4.0 and my hardware board is a altera Cyclone EP1C20 with a NIOS 2 processor. when i try to compile a cyclone32 project included in your nios.zip package, quartus give me a list of error, as: 

Error: Can't place node ser_rxd -- illegal location assignment PIN_153  

and  

Error: Can't fit design in device 

What can i do? 

Tnx, Andrea 

PS: Can you tell me anything about a future altera's board cyclone 2 + jop?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This topic is very interesting.  

I see two things : JOP and JDHL... 

Do you know if we can use JHDL (www.jhdl.org) as being the main language to design some modules with the Stratix dev. board? I don't understand how can we use JHDL with Quartus 2 IDE... It misses maybe something to compile it with Quartus... There is no java compiler available. Anybody has already written some JHDL designs? 

An other point, JOP is only a java virtual machine to run it on NIOS. And we can execute java application directly! It's really powerfull. Any body has tested it... I would like to have a feedback on it. 

Christian
0 Kudos