Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

.jic file procedure for EPCQ256

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I saw a previous post commenting that the NIOS flash programmer will not work for the EPCQ devices. Given that, what is the procedure creating a .jic file that I can blow into the EPCQ256 for Active Serial x4 configuration? I already have a .sof that brings the NIOS core up, and then I can program it via JTAG. However, I'd like to have the program in the EPCQ so that it starts as soon as the FPGA comes out of reset. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I went back to SOPC Builder which seems to be more reliable than QSYS. 

My system works; I can program it via JTAG and everything is good. 

However, I simply cannot figure out how to get this blown into the configuration device. 

I have set the reset vector to the EPCS device. I have the exception vector in on-board RAM. 

I have tried the directions here: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd12092009_471.html 

But they didn't seem to work. The FPGA never gets configured (LED's never light that I have tied to come on). 

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What family is FPGA and what is the configuration device: EPCS or EPCQ ( since You mentioned both ) ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The FPGA is Arria V series. The configuration device is an EPCQ. However, the flash controllers only seem to communicate in EPCS/EPCQx1 mode in any of the Nios cores. 

Nominally, I shouldn't *need* the .jic file. I should be able to use the flash programmer to write the EPCQ device. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work either.
0 Kudos