Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

.jic file procedure for EPCQ256

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I saw a previous post commenting that the NIOS flash programmer will not work for the EPCQ devices. Given that, what is the procedure creating a .jic file that I can blow into the EPCQ256 for Active Serial x4 configuration? I already have a .sof that brings the NIOS core up, and then I can program it via JTAG. However, I'd like to have the program in the EPCQ so that it starts as soon as the FPGA comes out of reset. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I went back to SOPC Builder which seems to be more reliable than QSYS. 

My system works; I can program it via JTAG and everything is good. 

However, I simply cannot figure out how to get this blown into the configuration device. 

I have set the reset vector to the EPCS device. I have the exception vector in on-board RAM. 

I have tried the directions here: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd12092009_471.html 

But they didn't seem to work. The FPGA never gets configured (LED's never light that I have tied to come on). 

Any suggestions?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What family is FPGA and what is the configuration device: EPCS or EPCQ ( since You mentioned both ) ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The FPGA is Arria V series. The configuration device is an EPCQ. However, the flash controllers only seem to communicate in EPCS/EPCQx1 mode in any of the Nios cores. 

Nominally, I shouldn't *need* the .jic file. I should be able to use the flash programmer to write the EPCQ device. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work either.